No heat from boiler

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

caroline

Hi

I have a Bosch W135 kV1B31 S0595 boiler in my mobile home that has been working fine until it suddenly decided to stop heating water.

The water flows through it fine, the pilot light works but I'm not getting any hot water.

Does anyone have any advice or information how I might resolve this as the campsite where my mobile home is situated in France wants 1500€ to put in a new one and I can't afford that.

Many thanks
Caroline
JD
Site Admin

I have no idea what the cost of living or labor prices are in France, but for $1,950.60 (1500€) I would expect they want to replace the water heater. If this is a 10yr old wh or older, I can understand their reasoning. The problem is most likely to be in the pilot light - operating valve assembly, both of which could be replaced for a fraction of that price. But if the repairman feels he is giving new life to an old and/or deteriorated tank, he may be looking out for your best interest.

If the pilot light stays lit, it should have a blue color to the flame. A yellow flame may not trip the sensor to open up the main gas valve. If the flame is blue and strong, it is most likely the control valve. There is a possibility that the pilot has moved away from the sensor, but that is very unlikely. The control valve is not a field repairable part and would need to be replaced.

The only tank style Bosch units I have seen are the smaller point-of-use mini-tank units, like 6 gallon units. A quick search and I did not see Bosch regular tank water heater control valves. But these control valves are readily available for Roberts, Rheem, Bradford White, etc. Prices are in the $60 - $130 range. So I think it is unlikely that your repairman is planning on replacing it. I would get other estimates for the repair and ask your current repairman if he is planning on replacing the entire water heater and why he thinks that is necessary. It may be the best solution for you.

I won't go into how to replace that valve due to the rules of this web site, but install instructions from the various manufacturers is readily available online.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
caroline

Thank you JD for your reply I will have a search online for parts. There hasn't been any repair look at the boiler the site simply removed it from our mobile home when we said it had a problem and have kept it in their work shed but have just said to us that it is broken and that we should have a new one. The things is I know no one has looked at it and I feel they maybe expecting me to just agree that it can be replaced.
In the meantime they will not connect up any water to my mobile but I will be visiting in just over a week and will speak to them in person.
It will however be nice to go along with some information and knowledge and advice I have been given so perhaps I can find someone to look in to repairing it.
Thanks again
countrydan

if your pilot is staying lit and you are speaking of a water heater then i would suggest checking your thermocouple.

this device is a safety device that will not allow your main gas valve to open unless it senses the pilot heat... a trick is to move it closer to the pilot as it may have been bumped. if you can post a picture i may be able to help more. this thermocouple is cheap and is a pretty straightforward easy replacement... it will have a threaded coupling on one end and a "bulb" on the other and is probably about 18" long.

good luck.