Given a 1972 Regent..

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

hhb

Just want to add my cheery $0.02 for some encouragement, although it doesn't sound like you need it. :D First, I know exactly what Greg is talking about having been there myself a couple of times, but he didn't finish the sentiment in his statement. Yes, you reach points of despair, but there also comes a point where you see the finish line, and when you come out the other side, it feels great.

We have bought 2 old houses in the past that nobody else would touch. People thought we were crazy I'm sure. We could see past the piles of garbage, the filth, the the crappiness to see the potential. Our first house was $4000. We lived there happily after a summer of fixing it up, and then some ongoing improvements for 3 years. Even after the repair costs we doubled our money on the place, and didn't even have to list it to sell it. The second, another bank repo, was on a bigger scale because it was "in town" and a bigger house. Even in this market we sold it in two weeks after living there 6 years and doing improvements, for 4 times what we paid. We took the money we made in cash, bought some beautiful land where an old house had burned down a few years ago (but had a new well & septic), found a repo'd mini home and have been working on that all summer. Mind you, the bigger task was the setup and preparing the neglected land - the mini home is actually not bad, just needed some new flooring & paint mostly. Suffice it to say that when we're done here it should be worth at least 3 times what we have invested, well into the 6 figure range - and we will have no mortgage, having paid for it with profits from the last place. But again, nobody was interested in the mini home we bought because it was repo'd, dirty, in a very bad spot, and "had to be moved". Now, it's (almost) renovated, fresh & clean, on some nice country acreage, and we own it outright.

TL,DR Moral of Story: Yes old houses & mobiles can be frustrating and sometimes soul sucking, but with enough persistence the end result can be well worth it, especially when you don't have a large income to being with. Sweat equity can be a real asset in the end.

feeeeline wrote:
Greg S wrote:
_______________________________________________________________________________________

There are always alternatives but often people can not see past the one directly in front of them. They then mistakenly take it for their only option regardless of how bad a decision it may be.
You have likely taken on a money pit that will not only consume your money but eventually your spirit as well. I have seen this many times.
Owning a home becomes a anchor that pulls you down, drains your financial and emotional resources and prevents you from moving forward.
I view life from a realists perspective.
Greg... this isn't my first barbecue. I apologize for being flippant, and I genuinely appreciate and am taking to heart what you're saying... but with all due respect, you, like me, do not have enough information about the situation to go on. I concur that the task ahead of me is incredibly stressful. I also apologize for my choice of words "no alternative". Lets just say that the available alternatives, with the time and money constraints I was dealing with, my life experience/skills/resources led me to believe that this was by far the most attractive option that I could come up with.

I'm not sure, by what you wrote, that you think this is about "home ownership". If you were thinking along those lines, I assure you, that's not what this was about.

You've given me something to think about, and for that, my sincere thanks.

I'll forgive you blocking or ignoring the rest of my posts.
Greg S

Feeeline I do not consider your comments to be in any way flippant, certainly no offence taken.
Understand my opinions are simply that, my opinions, no more or less of value than anyone else's.
From my perspective I only view ownership from a financial investment perspective. Personal home ownership is a lifestyle choice being that it is a financial liability as opposed to a financial asset. It costs money to own as opposed to making money.
Depending on ones financial situation this may or may not be financially crippling.

hhb has posted a interesting scenario in that their hard work has afforded them the opportunity to move up in value and quality of home but again speaking from a investment perspective has not financially benefited them personally. As long as they continue to own and live in their home they gain no money until they refinance and pull money out to reinvest or liquidate at time of death.
To further my point I would guess that each time they sold and moved up they likely increased their monthly financial costs (property taxes etc.)
Lifestyle wise they have advanced considerably but financially they have not yet realised any gain.

My case has been similar in that I have moved up and paid off my home as well. The difference being that I have refinanced my home investment to the maximum (80%) and invested the money to realise a income profit from my home investment. The bank owns my home and my investment pays the bank as well as paying me a handsome monthly income. My home has stopped being a liability and is now a asset producing investment. Owning a home free and clear is to a investor dead money. It is, as I stated, a lifestyle choice that can be very financially draining.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Steve-WA

I cannot believe no one has addressed this regarding your smell . . .

Pull up old carpet and pad, discard. Cut out and repair any bad/weak/disintegrated parts of the flooring with extra support as needed and plywood (see the cr*p toilet repair post a few threads down - theres a good description for adding floor support), AND THEN THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU ***HAVE*** TO DO:

Get some oil-based Kilz primer and roll it out on the subfloor. I will guarantee that your floor is particle board, and that dog and mold smell has permeated the subfloor. The Kilz will seal it into the wood, and it will also prevent any future permeation from your cats.

I have known people to live in a MH with no floor coverings at all over the particle board subfloor - I jokingly call it hillbilly hardwood, and I grew up near the Ozarks, so I can do that - for years, so use your money for important liveability improvements first (HWT decking, sink drain and vent, tub faucet, etc) and cosmetic stuff later. Granted, calling carpet or vinyl or laminate 'cosmetic' is a stretch, but its not as important as odor eradication.

As far as the roof . . . in your situation, you kinda gotta live with it. Maybe add some 4x4 support posts every 8 feet or so - hard to suggest or recommend without seeing it. I'd try to find out how long that roofover has survived, and that may put your fears at ease. If it's lasted this long, you're probably ok. If its a year old, well . . . maybe a rebuild is necessary. BUT with the drywall and siding improvements you mentioned, it seems that perhaps the previous owner added more structure to the walls to support the roof better? Dunno. Wear a hard hat to bed . . .
Greg

OK let's get this post back on track. We have family member asking about a home, not debating Financial/investments options.

Many people in today's economy are starting over or just getting started for the first time and "Dead money" is the furthest thing from their mind, Just having a roof over their head will make them happy. Let's help her get that done.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
feeeeline

I thank EVERYONE for your replies!!!!

I'm reading all the articles, ordering "the book", watching every youtube video and reading the comments section below each (because often comments indicate a better/safer/saner way). I owned a 1967 single-wide for about 9 years, without the benefit (!?) of the internet. ;)

This little place... while it has hair raising problems, it also has some astounding GOOD points. A nice, well managed park! Neighbors and park management that is PATIENT and encouraging with me. But, more importantly (to this particular thread)...

The place is freakin' adorable from the outside. It's sided and roofed. (Yes, we'll see about the roof, but it's holding the rain off for now). The kitchen... VERY NICELY DONE replacement windows. Someone, at some point, put vinyl tile down, and did it VERY well. The flooring is showing it's age (scratches and stains), but absolutely nothing alarming about it after cleaning. It appears quite solid under the stove and fridge (both have been pulled out, and cleaned).

It's got a terrific porch/deck. A solid but worn shed. The lot is shady and isolated. The neighbors pleasant. It's located far closer to where I work and where my son (who lives with me) works. The shed and deck serve for temporary placement of furniture as work is done on the interior.. VERY useful!

The windows.. while they are the old jalousie style windows, they were maintained by one of the earlier owners. WHAT'S MORE, whomever that was also replaced both the casing and trim with wood when they did the drywall. This wood is what I'm judging (partly) the water-tight aspect of the windows.

The layout of the place is ideal, as far as I'm concerned. I like a front kitchen. Several of the old single wide trailers I've lived in/owned have had them and there is something familiar and homey to me about that. :)

The natural gas... The kitchen stove and furnace are natural gas. That I had professionally checked by both an experienced mobile home repair company (a company I've known and dealt with for many years) and the utility company. No current problems there. :)

The electrical... it's coming along. I'm expecting a very small amount of money from the sale of my previous house, and have strongly considered, for safety sake, having the old circuit box replaced by a professional. It's obviously safe and effective for now (and I know electric and gas goes beyond the scope of this forum... this is just for informational purposes)

One thing that cracks me UP.. The bathroom has the original 1970's tub/shower and sink. That shower, which you would expect after 40 years of michigan water to be an utter disaster? It's tight, solid, and shining.. in it's original Austin Powers gold. I swear... if I were a whimsical person, I'd be searching for flooring and decor to match. I had to carefully remove a measurable thickness of lime-scale from it, as well as un-nameable substance from the previous occupants... but by gosh, it's nearly pristine.

I'm almost excited, after having watched numerous videos, about tackling the floor. Surprisingly, much of the original under-belly material (which I've seen referred to as "cardboard".. and I know there is another name for it) is intact, though I'm sure the rodents have many access points, it's there for now, which indicates to me that I might not have massive issues under there.

I have only a small area of carpet currently removed. I had to move in in quite a hurry, and am cleaning and moving boxes, etc. out of the way for what I hope is a big effort this weekend and next. The area that is pulled... to my surprise, someone thought of kilz. They pulled the linoleum and painted before they laid this carpet and padding.

As for anything else... my kid and I often comment that if the previous owner had taken even the slightest care of the place, someone else would have snatched it up before we could have gotten it. We both have a very, very high tolerance for living rough, and being good at adapting our situations to what needs to get done on a particular time-line. ;) We also work VERY well together on projects. We've got jobs to support us (while we'll probably never be affluent) through the transition.

Anyway... today's plan... The kid is going to replace some casement around the bathroom door. He hung it on the old 2X4 temporarily, for modesty sake, when we moved in, and I have the appropriate wood to put in and make it a real, live, bathroom door today. :D

Pictures to follow... I am guessing I should start a thread for each project as I go? For me, it seems a bit more practical to leave them all on this thread.
Lisa: I didn't know you cared about ballet.
Marge: Lisa, have I ever shown you my shattered dreams box?
Lisa: No.
Marge: It's upstairs in my disappointment closet.
DCDiva

Hi and Welcome to the group!! It sound like from all the post you have a handle on what needs done. Free is a big help!! One day and project at a time! At one time someone gave some love to the MH. If they replaced with drywall I would say the may have replaced the studs or beefed up the studs for the new roof. The roof just might need roof caulking around vents. Just be on the look out for leaks and deal with it as needed.
Electric --well you might open up a expensive can of worms--we totally gutted 2 1973 mobile homes and replaced everything--when we did the electric we had to replace the wires to the pole, the meter and an outside shut off--we had to bring everything up to the current code--it did not help one MH was over 100 foot to the electric pole WOW expensive --Electric is something you can get checked out by an electrician then save up for--we DIY it all but with great advice from our code enforcement officials. The materials to replace from pole to mh and then the mh was @1500 with us doing everything.
Floors get all the carpet and padding out, replace floor as needed until you can afford to replace all room by room. In all of my rentals I have been replacing carpet with tile, then the renters can get bound carpet or remnants to place on top if they want carpet. The peal and stick tile is very easy to DIY and the color choices are great,I usually go with a stone look.
Bathroom if it works keep it,until you are ready for a compete gutt job on the bathroom,buy things as you find them--I go to yard sale and online yard sales,craigs list,good will, there are may other places once you start looking and store them in you out building until you have the money saved to do it--usually have to replace the floors in a bathroom,new plumbing--since you have family close maybe the bath can make it thru the winter and make this your summer project.
The MH was free now you can make it a real home with no rent or mortgage payment!
My blog will give you some ideas of what we did to our MH's we just finished and rented our last MH--Happy dance!! I will be updating my blog and send in photos of the finished MH.
My blog http://myprojects-dcdiva.blogspot.com/s ... -results=5 I hope this works lol
feeeeline

DCDiva wrote: My blog will give you some ideas of what we did to our MH's we just finished and rented our last MH--Happy dance!! I will be updating my blog and send in photos of the finished MH.
My blog http://myprojects-dcdiva.blogspot.com/s ... -results=5 I hope this works lol
OH!!! LOVE your blog! SO wish I could blog about my adventure. :D Honestly, I've been a little reluctant to post pictures for fear everyone, en mass will give me a thrashing for being such a fool as to think there might be hope. :oops:

My last two homes (on what was formerly my land)... I had very little start up money, and we did much of the electrical ourselves (with the appropriate advice and assistance from the appropriate inspectors, suppliers and contractors). Right up to installing everything but the meter. One was the 1967 mobile I spoke of earlier. That actually had a pig-tail type connection, reminded me of an electric dryer. :D The other was a new double-wide. We were able to do everything right up to connecting it to the pole, which I hired qualified professionals for.

This place has been sitting here for some time. There are many older MH here, though the park management seems to be fairly firm on outside appearance... they're also flexible and decent about things.

Lot rent is only $325 a month. That's water, lot and trash.

I've got the living room and hall empty and "before" pictures taken... just gulping some instant coffee before the last big push, and it will be GOOD BYE SMELLY CARPET!!!! Well... most of it anyway. The carpet in the two bedrooms will eventually go as well, but for now I have to have some living space that isn't torn up.

The realtor told my ex that we're supposed to be closing on my old place this week. That will give me a very small amount to work with. I'm researching what is available in my area as far as flooring goes. I'm hoping to be able to get a decent grade laminate to do the living room and hall.
feeeeline

Before...

After getting the carpet out. Not the best "project picture", really. Just made me happy to have something like a place to relax, besides my bed. :)

The smell is VASTLY improved!!!!
Greg

making progress!!!

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."