'Down Under' in the pit

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Psaltee

Interested in how to prepare for going down under. Do I need special clothes, shoes, head covering? What about tools and lighting? Our MH sits on a corner lot and sits on a dug-in 'pit' (down under). The pit I'm guessing is about 2 feet deep. Just enough of a crawl space to crawl down under. I'm pretty confident with what is underneath and everything in its place I'm interested in checking -- repair and replace as/if necessary. With all the repairs I've done of late I'm interested in securing the fort down under. Maybe I'll lear a lesson or two down under and share my findings with the neighbors. We've lived in a stick built house for many years and although this is a new lifesttle wee're adapting well.

Appreciate hearing from you all,
psaltee
bondo

at the very least use a respirator, around $25 of less on amazon.
Norm Frechette

tyvec suit from the local big box hardware store

Greg

Ok, you are going under your home Not a toxic waste dump. The worst thing you should encounter is cobwebs and possibly a dead critter.

Tyvec suit would help keep you clean, and a hat to keep cobwebs out of your hair. The type of skirting will determine what you need for light. Vinyl will let light through, steel not so much.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I do the down-under a lot. I use the Tyvek suits in the summer and heavy overalls in winter. The Tyvek holds up pretty good for all the crawling you'll be doing. Gloves are a big help in crawling and dealing with bug/rodent 'issues". I use a baseball cap to protect my head but I cut the bill off so it won't get in the way. The Tyvek hood can get hot to wear.

In a pit set home, you will need light. I use the cheap 500w work lights and usually set just one or two where they will give me general lighting. I use Ryobi flashlights to light up work areas.

Here is my best tip. I use those cheap black plastic mortar mixing tubs from home store's masonry department to schlep tools, jacks, plumbing stuff,underbelly and adhesive around. They cost about $12. The smooth plastic with the rounded edges works like a sled, keeping all of my stuff clean, together and easy to drag/push around. I made the habit of always returning tools and such to the tub instead of setting them down in the dirt. Having to crawl back to the other end to find a crescent wrench in the dirt is no fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Psaltee

JD

Really appreciate the advice! The black mixing tub idea is worth its weight in gold. We need to archieve this post and advice since it would benefit so many other folks. Thanks again -- great tip and excellent advice.

psaltee