Decorator Door/Partition

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

buffee92027

I have a 71 Double wide with a California nice, a very nice mobile home with 3 exceptionally naughty cats. The kitchen & dining room are divided by a entrance space. I bought one of those plastic partitions to keep the cats out of the living room which is also off the dining room. This partition is a piece of *****! It cost me over 130$, the screws keep coming out, its hard to open the fridge, its just a royal pain in my butt.....the open space between the kitchen & the entrance of the dining room is 49 inches wide and I would need it at least 70 inches tall, my cats would not be able to jump that. Anyone ever put a door, or french doors, or someother kind of barrier, that is permanent that actually looks nice? any creative ideas? thanks :D
Greg

Hi & welcome. If the screws are pulling from the wall you could try a different type of anchor screws like a toggle bolt of a metal expansion screw or move it to where you can hit a stud.
At a 49" width you could think about a pair of swinging doors, not sure how that would fit your layout.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
buffee92027

No its not screwed onto the wall, its a plastic room divider.....I want something more permanent---like a door in that space.
joedirt63

depending upon your skill level at home diy you can make a set of french doors and hang them in that space or you can get 2, 24" doors and hinge then together then hang them . i would try to install some kind of door frame. I've seen solid door slabs and loovered doors, or 6 panel door slabs, in many home centers, from 20 to 25 bucks. I'm makeing panel doors from 2x2's for my kids closet. to simulate a japanese partition, ebony frame with frosted plexiglass panels.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
buffee92027

thank you. my contractor friend who has done TONS of work..will be over tomorrow to finish lighting, I am going to "pick his brain" on what kind of door/cat barrier could go there because the room divider is making me crazy.