Vinyl Siding

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gchart57

We have a 1987 mobile home and what was the exterior is now the interior wall of the lanai. I was wondering if you think there's anything under the vinyl as far as an older exterior and do you think there's plywood under it I'd like to remove it and replace it with a vinyl soffit material that resembles wainscoting. Thanks

Gary M Charters
HouseMedic

If there is vinyl siding on there now you should have no problem removing it and replacing with the vinyl soffit material. They both go on the same way it's just that the soffit type material that I guess you want is called vertical siding.

Ron
joedirt63

once you take off a piece or 2 of the sideing you shoud see either ply wood ,or a fiber board type of panel used for sheathing. you may also see nothing but insulation and hopefully a moister barrier. what ever you find,as long as you have the sideing off now's the time to inspect for damage and gaps ,holes and such,and repair it. befor you install the new sideing,i would , (as well as many others here would) advise to use a house wrap to help insulate and reduce drafts.many kinds on the market,but remember the material must be able to breath.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
JD
Site Admin

Like Joe said, you just gotta look. Vinyl siding can be installed over the old siding or the old siding could have been removed to add insulation and straighten out the walls. If this is factory installed vinyl siding, then I don't know what you could expect as I have not seen one of those homes yet.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
gchart57

Thanks for all your help! Yes the vinyl soffit would end up being vertical siding, I used it in a refinished basement on the ceiling and it's worked great.