doublewide countertops

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Heather

Hi guys I've been looking at the forum and cant seem to find what I'm looking for I hope maybe you can help me out on this one.My husband and I want to buy a doublewide thats a really great deal,but I have some concerns with it.The countertops in the kitchen and bathroom need to be replaced bad.Now hubby looked at them and said I dont think you can changed them cause doublewide/mobilehome counters are fixed usally to the cabinets.We dont know for sure if they are fixed to them he is just figureing they are.Is this always true and is it not able to be done????I also want to know if they can be done, is there only certain counters we can use?Thank you for any help you can give me on this.P.S. I love my hubby but not really a counter installer guy if it possible could you then walk us through.again thanks for any info.
Greg

Heather, Mobile home cabinets & counter tops are usually built as an assembly. Now you can re top the counters. You can buy Formica at most home centers, but it can be tricky to work with. I tiled ours, it is bullet proof but drop a glass on it and the glass is history.

You may want to think about upgrading cabinets and installing new tops. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

My counter tops are screwed from underneath to the walls, and to the tops of the cabinet faces. I think that you could replace them if you are careful, but when you remove the top, you will see how flimsy the cabinets are. It may turn into a bigger project than you planned on if the cabinets fall apart. Measure the depth of your counter tops, and compare with those at a home center, to see if you could use them. Compare available sizes with what you need, and go from there.
As Greg said, you can also re-cover them with new Formica, but it requires some skill to get seams to match, etc, as it requires the use of a strong contact cement. That may be a job for a pro, depending upon your skill level. In your case, If you get the home for a good price, it may be within your budget.
joedirt63

just as greg and commodore said you ma wind up replaceing, one option ic craigs list for used stuff. I found a almost complete kitchen for my m/h base cabs wall cab ,lazy susan,counter top dishwasher sink and faucet and over the stove microwave, for like 500 bucks. thers always used stuff,recycle is the name of the game, even if you just change the top, home centers have pre made counter tops cut to fit. bath vanity is similar. heck a 30 inch vanity kit is like 150 bucks. just remeber measure and measure again then get someone else to measure. it's not rocket science but it is hard work, just think and research all the possible options
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
JD
Site Admin

Countertops are usually screwed to a small furring strip that is attached to the wall and to other furring strips at the sides/top of the cabinets. Often times this is where you will find square headed screws. Sometimes the cabinets are flimsy or damaged, so you have to be a bit careful when removing them. Sometimes they may also use silicone or some other adhesive, and the top may need to be pried from the furring strips. If the cabinet "framing" is damaged or becomes damaged during removal of the top, they are easily repaired.

Merry Christmas everyone!
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.