Bathroom Remodeling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

OBG

Hello everyone! Yesterday we went into our sons room just to realize his whole closet floor and a 10ft. bedroom wall was wet. We finally found the leak to be the shower head in the ajoining bathroom. After we knocked out all of the wall panels in both rooms & pulled up all of the carpet, we have discovered ALOT of black mold. We know how to get rid of the mold but we cannot get the bathtub out to dry out the flooring underneath it. We have taken out all of the screws & disconnected the drain & the faucets. Any ideas?? Also, the bathroom is very small with no storage what-so-ever. We are considering replacing the tub with just a stand-up shower so that we will have some storage room for towels, etc... Is this feesible? We live on a very payday to payday income & cannot afford to hire someone to fix these things for us. Thank You in advance! :wink:

Lisa Stires
Lisa Stires
Newalla, Ok.
1999, single wide 14 x 90
Greg

Hi & welcome. there are a few possibilities that I can think of. the tub may be glued or caulked. The walls may be swelled from the water effectively wedging the tub. I would try working it with a bar gently to see if it will work free. If push comes to shove, a Saws all WILL remove the tub by simply cutting it in half. Plan on replacing the floor, once they get wet they usually turn to sawdust.

Showers may cost a little less, there is no reason that you can't change it over, but keep in mind if you plan on selling the home most people would want at least one tub in the home. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
OBG

Thank You! We ended up cutting it in half & removing it. There is a garden tub in the master bedroom. The wood still seems to be very solid. We are drying it out now to see what happens. I was told we could just kilz (I think) it to cover the mold.
Lisa Stires
Newalla, Ok.
Greg

If it is a Partical board sub floor and was soaked, do your self a favor and replace it with plywood. Partical board is simply sawdust glued under pressure, Water will dissolve the glue - leaving you with... sawdust. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
OBG

Hmmmm, guess I better check it out tonight to make sure. Thanks for the help Greg!
Lisa Stires
Newalla, Ok.
ponch37300

Greg is right, particle board is junk when it gets wet.

As far as the kilz, it will not kill the mold. It only covers it up which in my opinion is a really bad thing to do. The mold will continue to grow. Mold is a tricky thing, LOTS of good info out there on the web about it, how it grows, how to kill it, and the dangers it can cause.
OBG

Guess I got lucky...it's plywood!!!
Lisa Stires
Newalla, Ok.
dynamicplumbing

First you need to figure out your budget. Do you just want to paint the walls and change the curtains, or do you want new cabinets, flooring, and bath/tub combo or double sinks? Are you changing the floor plan or putting down ceramic tile? Figure out what you want to do and go from there.
Last edited by Greg on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link to spam
OBG

My budget is very limited. Especially with the holidays upon us. I think I am going to wallpaper the walls. The bathroom isn't big enough for double sinks (not to mention it is the kids bathroom), so I think I am just going to put a pedastool sink & medicine cabinet up. Also, I am not replacing the tub. I am just going to put a stand up shower in so that there will be some extra room for shelves, etc... This bathroom is extremely small. I have the new wood down, now to start on the walls..... :?
Lisa Stires
Newalla, Ok.
navypoppop

can someone tell me if you have to have access behind all bathroom wall fixtures to replace shower faucets and heads, tub faucets or garden faucets? my main bath has an access panel with screws in master bedroom but no srewed panels in 2nd bath. would i have to remove trim moulding and panels?
JD
Site Admin

If you want to just replace the faucet, then an access panel or removing the wall panel is needed. If you cut your own panel, you may want a taller access panel if you have the gray plastic polybutylene pipe so you can replace the pipe from the faucet to the shower head/gooseneck.

If you are replacing the shower walls, you can replace the faucet from the front side and then cover the repair with the shower wall, after patching the repair area.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
lynnabelone

well, i think only cleaning the bathroom can make them perfect for use and these only be done by giving that hand. And you should have clean your house too, there are various dirt particle revolving around your house.

----Slimy crap link removed by moderator----

Quit crapping in our living room Creep!
vulture

lynnabelone wrote:well, i think only cleaning the bathroom can make them perfect for use and these only be done by giving that hand. And you should have clean your house too, there are various dirt particle revolving around your house.

----Slimy link to crap product----
Huh? :roll:
It is the mark of an instructed mind, to rest satisfied with that degree of precision which the nature of the subject admits, and not to seek exactness, when only an approximation of the truth is possible.

~ Aristotle ~