Sliding glass door replacement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

canalman

I have a 4 year old Titan double wide in which the sliding glass door to the rear of the home has lost it's seal between the panes of glass and needs to be replaced. I am not real clear on if this glass door can be replaced with a new one from a regular lumber supply house or if I need to order it from someone. Also, how much of a pain in the neck its it to replace. I am pretty good, but this is not my main field of expertice. Where would I find someone that has experience to replace this quickly.
JD
Site Admin

You need to know the rough opening of your existing door space. If you removed your current door, what is the length and width of the hole. Being a '94 you might get lucky and and have a standard door size. I have not seen one. You can special order the door from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

Installing a new vinyl sliding door is not difficult. There are different types of vinyl windows and doors. There are New Construction windows, Replacement Windows and Flush Fin (retrofit). I use the Flush Trim types. There is a finished trim part of the frame that seals to the house, making a good seal and nice "vinyl window" type look. It takes two people to handle doors, not just the lifting, but to hold the door in place while someone puts in the screws.

If your door has an aluminum flange with screws every 4" or so going into the siding, be sure to check if the deck/porch is covering the screws at the bottom of the door.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

If you can find a manufacturer of the door, there may be some warranty coverage for it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Personally I would go with a set of patio or french doors than another set of sliders. They always seem to have problems...JMO though.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!