Find the problem - win a mug.

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Mark
Site Admin

Hi,

I will send a mobilehomerepair.com coffee mug to the first person who posts the correct answer.

We sent a customer a new heating element for his electric furnace. He removed the element from the factory box and installed it. In a couple days he called saying that the element must be defective because it kept tripping the limit switch. So we sent him a new element and we received the first one back. There was definitely a problem. I've posted two pictures of the element. The first person to tell me what's wrong will win a mug. Obviously, you don't need any meters to figure this one out!

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can't fail if you don't try!
Brenda OH

the yellow cord over the plug would have to be moved out of the way to successfully plug in the unit... Brenda
Mark
Site Admin

Good try, but the wires would instead be plugged into the other side of the limit switch.
Greg

Hard to tell from the angle of the pictures, but it looks to me like the top & bottom coils either cross or touch each other at the front by the 2nd bend. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark
Site Admin

The pictures may be deceiving, but the wires do not touch. If they did, it would blow a breaker and not a limit switch. Keep trying!

Mark
joedirt63

heating coils too close to the switch and overheat the switch.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Brenda (OH)

Greg,

you could just ask Mark to send you a mobilehomerepair.com coffee mug I think you probably have sufficient leverage..... grins

Brenda (OH)
Denise

ahh, what the hay.....the upper element looks longer (different) then the lower one, like they should go to different set-ups.
Mark
Site Admin

Joedirt63, you have just won the mug. E-mail me your shipping address to [email protected] and I'll get a mug on the way to you.

Heating coils that are practically touching the limit switch will trigger problems. Coils should be kept an inch or more back.

Good job!

Mark
Brenda (OH)

Nowfor my learning, I would like to know....

could the offending coil have been gently lifted off the posts, and repositioned, or are they permamently attached and have to be returned to the vendor lol

Brenda (OH)
Mark
Site Admin

Yep, the coils could have easily been adjusted by lifting off the insulators and repositioning. If we would have known more about the issue, we would have talked them thru the fix over the phone so they wouldn't have needed to return the coil.

Mark
Robert

Just be sure you do not touch the coils with bare hands/fingers. Also be sure they are evenly stretched and positioned.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?