New Interior Door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

smkdamicz

I want to install new soild wood interior doors on my double wide. If I put in doors that messure 79" insteaqd of 78" will it effect my heater unit that much? I am talking about the gap at the bottom for return air.
Greg

The gap at the bottom is for the return air, If you notice a problem you can always just leave the door open slightly. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lorne

If the heater/cooling system doesn't get enough return air from all the rooms then it will draw air from outside the house from anywhere it can, like wall plug openings and cracks around doors or windows.

Our previous house had the gas heater in the utility room and the wife always wanted the door closed, because of the noise.

I cut an over sized doggy door near the bottom, 18" square, and put a louvered cover over each side of the door. Air flow immediately increased, which you could feel.

Good luck.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
crackur

the gap at the bottom should be more than 1in I believe mine is aroudn 3 or something and I'm going to change mine out for panel doors from the mobile home store
Rod

If you are purchasing "solid wood" doors as you mentioned why not just trim 1" off the bottom. Then it will have the same gap as it did before.

Rod