Widening dorrways

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

squirt13

I own a 1995 Fleetwook Doublewide and am wondering if it is possible to widen the dorrway into one of the bedrooms and bathrooms. I am disabled and use a motorized chair part of the time. unfortunately it will not be more then a couple of years until I am in the chair most of the time, including around the house.

I am planning on converting the tub/shower in the master bath into a full size shower first. Second is to update the kitchen with new cabnets, which will be ADA compatible. I was just wondering if I can widen the doorways, when I update the bathroom would be a perfect time to do this.
Greg

You should be able to open up any door, however if the door is in a load bearing wall (usually outside walls and the center wall in a doub. wide) you will want to beef up the frame with double headers and possibly double studs on both sides of the frame. Remember to check for electrical in the walls before cutting. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
squirt13

The doors are not on either the outside wall or center load bearing wall. Both doors are on walls going across half of the house. I know I will have to move the light switches about 3" over to clear the new opening, but I don't think I will have to run new wiring for that little distance. I hope.