Wierd plumbing vent configuration....

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

vulture

Hi all,

Love this forum , I've read every page and haven't seen anybody with this problem.

I'm in the middle of the ever popular bathroom remodel, (leaky toilet destroyed the floor) and since I have everything stripped out, I would like to replace the old center drain 54 x 27 ABS plastic tub with a left hand drain fiberglass or metal tub... got plenty of room depth wise so I could go with a 30 or even 32 inch deep tub. (center of toilet was about 24 inches away from tub).

My problem is thus:

The roof vent pipe comes into the bathroom behind the current tubs center drain and intrudes about 5 1/2 to 6 inches into the bathtub space at the lowest point next to the floor and tee's off for the p-trap and then continues on to the waste pipe below the toilet.

Will I be able to find a way to "creatively" hook back up to this vent pipe? It exits the wall about 9 inches above the floor with a 45 degree elbow and a 4 inch piece of pipe to another 45 degree elbow to point it down.

Or

Would it be wiser to run a new vent pipe to the roof? (really don't want to do that)

Or

Should I just buy another center drain tub?

I considered rearranging things to accommodate a full size tub, but space limitations won't allow.

I'm also considering using the Trafficemaster vinyl plank flooring if/when I get that far. :?
It is the mark of an instructed mind, to rest satisfied with that degree of precision which the nature of the subject admits, and not to seek exactness, when only an approximation of the truth is possible.

~ Aristotle ~
Greg

Hi & Welcome. For practical purposes vents are vents, Codes on the other hand are a different subject. Are you saying that the vent goes through the wall? I have never seen one like that.
Personally I would opt for a roof vent over an under the counter vent with a check valve.
You can use about any type of tub that fits and plumb from there. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
vulture

Thanks Greg,

Yeah, The vent pipe goes up inside a wall that has a closet on the other side.

Funny thing is, it also has that other kind of vent on the sink inside the vanity.
It is the mark of an instructed mind, to rest satisfied with that degree of precision which the nature of the subject admits, and not to seek exactness, when only an approximation of the truth is possible.

~ Aristotle ~
Greg

The check valve type are very common in Mobiles for sinks. The roof style I think are more of a high flow for toilets. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
danjon25

I can relate to that problem, I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel myself. I have a right hand drain tub I am replacing with a right hand drain shower pan. My vent pipe is on the right as well inside a wall to the laundry room so it shouldnt be too bad although I have to replace all the floor, supply lines, drains and neighboring laundry room floor, wall and drain uggggg! I was gonna go with a center drain too, but have the same dilema you have. Can you just re plumb the drain to the old spot or is there not enough room under the new tub?
vulture

Yeah, I think I can...

I'm waiting to see if aquaglass.com comes back online so I can get installation instructions for my specific tub. (per the directions that came with it).

If not, It's goin' back to Lowes. Their website says they'll be getting a steel tub in my size around mid January made by American Standard, but it's going to cost $160.00 more.

Might be worth the wait!

~ Aristotle ~