Belly repair

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

danjo

I have an older mobile home with the rigid board underbelly.
I've seen the product to repair it but I have about a 3ft X 8ft
opening that the prevoius owner made. What would be the best
way to repair it?
JD
Site Admin

I used to use the stuff called Sound Board from Lowe's. But back then it had a black painted surface. They still sell sound board,
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
but it is not painted and just the brown fiber board material. For a couple of years now, I have just been using the underbelly Mark sells here at the Books & Parts link above. I first seal the area of the rigid underbelly board, then use the spray adhesive to install the regular poly underbelly material. If it is just a small area, I will use two coats of the spray adhesive, one to seal, one to glue. If there is a lot of area to seal, I will use Ame's Super Primer.

If you wanted to use the sound board, I would paint the exposed surface with a flat latex. This would give it some protection as well as leave some permeance for vapor to pass. That is just a guess on my part, no science involved. :) You also might need to do some blocking for something to nail to.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.