Could I replace my current tub with this?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

crackur

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

I currently have an old garden tub in my master bathroom. It has like shelf like benchs on each end that will give me well enough length. The width already is big enough since the tub I have has a step that adds on several inches. The height isn't much more than what I already have.

Of course I would get someone else to do it, since I'm not messing with plumbing in this area or electricity.

How hard you think it would be? and is it possible
flcruising

It seems you described a freestanding skirted tub that you have now. If that's the case, this new tub would require you pull the old one and build a tub deck to hold it. Not difficult per-se, but would require some framing and finishes that a plumber probably wouldn't do.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg S

Assuming you have the space it's as easy as calling a plumber and electrician to asses the situation and give you an estimate.

Make sure you are sitting down when they give you the estimate.
The hard part is always paying professionals to do the work.
crackur

Greg S wrote:Assuming you have the space it's as easy as calling a plumber and electrician to asses the situation and give you an estimate.

Make sure you are sitting down when they give you the estimate.
The hard part is always paying professionals to do the work.
haha I know

I think I know some people who do this type of work. I just wanted to know so I didn't get my wife's hope up too much lol
Jim from Canada

Be forwarned, your electricity bills will go up significantly with a spa.
crackur

Jim from Canada wrote:Be forwarned, your electricity bills will go up significantly with a spa.
and my stress will decrease lol
Greg

I don't think the electric bill will be too bad, It's not like a hot tub that keeps the water hot all the time.

The hardest part will be making room for it to fit. Hreg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

I hope my bride does not see it....she'll want one.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
crackur

Greg wrote:I don't think the electric bill will be too bad, It's not like a hot tub that keeps the water hot all the time.

The hardest part will be making room for it to fit. Hreg
Our bathroom is not huge or big at all but it already has a bigger garden tub in it anyway that takes up the back wall. However, It has like shelf like seating on each side. if I took one away it would be long enough. It is already less width than the garden tub.
Yanita

Before you purchase and get your pro's in to do the job...make sure you can get the tub through your home entrance, down any halls and around corners!

Putting in tubs like this was very spendy for us...we even had a license electrician to put it on its own designated circuit.

Good luck!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
crackur

Yanita wrote:Before you purchase and get your pro's in to do the job...make sure you can get the tub through your home entrance, down any halls and around corners!

Putting in tubs like this was very spendy for us...we even had a license electrician to put it on its own designated circuit.

Good luck!

Yanita
Yeah I would think it would have to have its own circuit. How much power would the motor use/ depending on what type of motor you get?

I have already measured the door etc and it will fit through it.

I just have to make all that money its going to cost to do it now!

yikes! it will happen! because the wife wants it lol
Yanita

Hi,

Not sure of what your electrical differences will be. I know when we had ours...the one I had to have...cause it would be soooo nice, turned out to be a big expense and little gratification! The water got cold real quick once the jets were turned on.

Any way's take that measurement twice and make sure you can turn the tub unit in the hall to get it through the bathroom door. The only way ours fit was because we had french doors to go through from the master bedroom.

Remember you will need a permit and an inspection to have this a legal installation.
JimM

just had to comment, might not want the wife/s to see this. <snicker>

I'm getting almost the same tub and in black.
I'm going with the evolution 5 x 60 deep soak jet tub.

here is a pic of the plans still in progress.
also adding in a walk in shower, 1/2 wall with 1/2 glass.
using solid bamboo flooring for the tub deck
and bamboo on the end tub wall separating toilet / tub space.

[albumimg]1458[/albumimg]
Yanita

Hi,

Although these tubs are very nice, keep in mind the size of your current water heater. Also while doing the renos check to see what size your floor joist are. These tubs hold more water when filled to capacity, thus more weight.

When we added ours in a previous home we sistered the studs and added extra blocking...just something to think about.

Yanita