Toilet Leaking?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TonyPa

Hi folks. Sorry i have been away for a few months here. I have been tackling one problem after another!
Just for the record, my home is a 1985 Commodore..

I was underneath fixing all my insulation, and noticed when someone flushed the toilet, there was water running down the big plastic drain pipe. I pulled the insulation away from it, and looked up in. The floor was wet around the pipe, just about 2 inches around the pipe.
I removed the toilet, and put a jumbo wax ring on it, cleaned everything up. And of course, I got underneath, and after it was flushed, it is still leaking. It is running down the pipe. It is NOT leaking onto the bathroom floor. Of course, just underneath the toilet of course, since the floor is slightly swollen under it, and wet. I thought the wax ring would fix it. The black pipe flange thing, that the wax ring sits on, looked fine. I am lost. Can anyone give me advise please!

ALSO, a side note. I used the Jumbo wax ring, and the toilet set right down on it, without having to press it down. Should I maybe try and set a thinner wax ring on top of the jumbo one? I feel i should have had to put some pressure on the toilet to smash it down, and I did not have to at all. It just sat right down.
Harry

Hi

Try the No Wax seal. Mark sells them. See plumbing parts.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Robert

Fernco no wax toilet seal to be exact.

Be sure you get Fernco.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Robert

Fernco no wax toilet seal to be exact.

Be sure you get Fernco.

http://mobilehomerepair.com/Order3.html#catalog

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
JD
Site Admin

Hi Tony,

You are exactly right. The toilet should land onto the wax ring and actually be held up off the floor a little bit. I seat them down by sitting on the toilet and giving it a couple of bounces. You can feel it go down and then bottom out. They do make a wax ring without the flange on it for when you need to double ring.

The No Wax Ring is a good choice as Greg and Robert suggests. These are attached to the bottom of the toilet and lowered down into the drain flange. There are 2 rubber gaskets on the bottom part of the No Wax Ring that seal to the inside wall the the drain pipe. A good choice when underlayment or thick tile recesses the drain flange.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
TonyPa

Thanks for the tip! I have never even heard of one of those. I have to get this fixed tomorrow. I don't want any more water trouble from it. I will run to Ace tomorrow, or Lowes, if they do not have it.
TonyPa

I just went to the order page, and realized, I don't know if I have a 3 or 4 inch pipe. Ugh!! I am gonna have to go do some measuring tomorrow.
Robert

Probably 3", but not gauranteed. Just be sure it is Fernco brand, been around a long time.

Tested and true, I've been recommending them for many years and never had a problem yet.

I haven't touched a wax ring in 10+ years, LOL.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
TonyPa

I have never even heard of them. I like how it slips down inside the flange. Its a great idea! And 0f course, should work well for me. Awesome! I am gonna pull the skirting and get under a measure this morning. I probably even used a 4 inch wax ring, if there is such a thing.
TonyPa

Okay, mine is 3 inch for sure. I am gonna sit down tonight here, and order one from the store here.
I hope it comes quick! I gotta go PP... :lol:

I don't like using paypal, so I am assuming I can use my credit card to order on the store.