Foundation sealing

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jharris

I have a 1991 Fleetwood doublewide with a concrete block perimeter. I would like any suggestions on sealing the home to the blocks. There is roughly 1/4 inch of space, and obviously more in some spots because I have critters in the walls. I am not opposed to ripping underbelly out to do this, which I am contemplating anyway, because I would like to either seal and insulate the ductwork, or just replace it. I have tried to seal from the outside, but the siding hangs down far enough to be in the way, I have though about removing the bottom row of siding in order to access, but that would not be very easy either.
flcruising

Can it not be accessed from the inside of the crawl space? 1/4" gap is not much. How much larger are the other areas? You could simply shove some foam backer rod in there.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
shadow745

Easy..... buy a few cans of expanding foam and carefully inject a nice bead to fill in any voids. I have been using latex expansion foam for the last few years for various projects and IMO it's much better than the typical foam like original Great Stuff. The latex doesn't expand as much, but can be used inside the home with no smell and it cleans up with water.

We have a rather large one story modular home on a brick foundation and the installers left a small gap at the bottom, between the brick and the wood overhang. Was nice for ventilation until I ran across a snake under the home one day. Only way it could've gotten in the crawlspace was through this gap. I did the foam sealing and no more issues. Later!
Do what you can today, as you might not be here tomorrow!