Epoxy coat over OSB?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Johanna Bruns

Hi! First time poster. Glad to find y'all!

I tore out and replaced the kitchen floor with flooring grade OSB. While thinking about what to cover it with, I've seen these garage floor epoxy floor kits that, when done, looks like some forms of linoleum but without the seams. Nobody at the big orange box knows how to answer the question:

Is there a reason why I shouldn't use the epoxy?

If it cracks later I can always use sheet vinyl over it, but would the epoxy loosen up the glue on the OSB?

Thanks,
Johanna
Harry

Hi

I would go with sheet vinyl....but I have read articles where you can epoxy a wood floor.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

I know of the product you are speaking of but the name alludes me at this time. I think for the money I would do as Harry said and go with sheet vinyl. I am sure it would be alot cheaper.

Not for certain but I would tend to lean on the thought that the OSB might start coming apart during the curing time of the epoxy. I suppose you could do a test area first and see the results.

Glad you found us and became a member. Be sure to accept the friendship, and then complete your profile. Profiles go along ways in helping us help you.

Welcome to the site!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Johanna Bruns

OK!

Vinyl it is... it'll go down quick and don't have to deal with the fumes (bleah).

Yanita-- you've got a good point, I'll get with the profile ASAP.
Thanks for just being there...

Johanna
Yanita

Thanks,

And let us know how your floor looks when you are done. On a side note, not sure what room you are doing but Lowe's typically has a bargain bin of precut vinyl. For less than 40.00 I did both bathrooms in my home.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Johanna is doing the kitchen.

My baths and kitchen all have the wood plank looking vinyl.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Harry

Hi

Photos of a painted particle board floor.

https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/a ... pic_id=227

Harry