Newbie owner -- dazed and confused...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

paigeroni

I recently bought a 1993 Redman. It's in good shape and I love it!

It's very confusing, however, entering the world of mfg homes. I owned stick-built houses long ago -- a 20s house and a Victorian. I did some DIY repairs and improvements. I thought I could do the same with this house, but everything my dad taught me doesn't seem to apply.

Is there an article in this forum about the differences to expect? I've searched and there are actually SO many articles, I don't know where to start.

I'm beginning to understand that I can't go to Home Depot and pick up replacement parts. So, where do I go? I've seen "go to a mfg home supplier." Like where? Who? I live in the Portland, OR area.

In December, my pipes froze and I couldn't get a plumber to help me. Now, I'm having trouble with my furnace thermometer. I discovered tonight that a Honeywell doesn't work with a Nordyne Intertherm. (Or at least the way I hooked it up.)

I love to do household tinkering, but my double-wide is obviously different than what I've done before. Where can I find out exactly how different it is?
Greg

Hi, As you have found, Mobiles are different. Many here slowly change over to stickbuilt parts. Doors & windows usually need to be either special ordered or reframed to a stock size, either way they will work usually better than the original.
Plumbing is the same way when it comes to fixtures. Frozen pipes are often a result of underbelly problems, the skirting & underbelly both need to be in place 100% aand tight with no holes.
Mark, the site owner has written a book that covers about any problem you may have with repair & upgrading your home in the books & parts section of the site. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."