plastic wallpaper

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

AaronT

I have just moved into a '79 MH. Among the many problems i have to repair is what appears to be old tan plastic wallpaper in the bathroom. It seems to be orignal, since where it is missing, there is nothing under it. It is mostly in excellant condition except on one wall where it has split & peeled in several places. The splits & cracks have been patched & painted over by some earlier owner, but have split again. My question is; where can I find this type of wallpaper? I have looked online & found nothing similar. The paper has a regular overall texture, so painting it shows up more. Also, since it split after painting; I thought putting the same wallpaper over it would seal it better. Any info on who might have some of this type of wallpaper would be appreciated.
AaronT
Greg

Well Aaron, about the only place you might find some is in your closet. The manufacturers but in bulk, when its used up, it's gone. If you have a clost that you can take a panel from that's about the only way. Other than that, it's time to redecorate. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi Aaron,

You have what is called wallboard. The vinyl wallpaper and sheetrock are one. I suppose you could try to peel the rest of it off but I think it would be more headache than it's worth.

As Greg said, try looking in closets for a piece you can take from there.

There are other options as well. Lowe's sells beadboard panels about an 1/4 thickness, 4x8 sheets for less than 20.00 a piece. Could always recover your walls with this, or if it is only the lower part of the wall that needs repair, just do the lower section and cap the beadboard off with chair rail/decorative molding.

I am going to move this to the decorating forums, seems that is where most post of this nature are. Check out some of the other threads over there for wall treatments.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!