batteries in a thermostat! check them!!!!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Brenda (OH)

well, something will always happen while rehabbing or remodelling to bite you in the backside.....

I had the batteries go dead in a thermostat in a mobile home I was working on, and it shut the furnace off. on the night the temp went to nine degreess......

so far, I only had a pipe fail at the top of the shower head, which luckily is not a place that water flows under pressure, but it was a close thing. I arrived just as the water in the toilet bowl was turning from strand of ice to a solid.

I got all but three lines to flow before I left, have to go back this afternoon to see what is up.

so my suggestion would be, change out all thermostat batteries when you buy a home, and replace them yearly when you do the smoke detector ones, or consider a different type of thermostat with no batteries in it...

who would have thought two freaking AAA batteries could cause such trouble grumble grumble grumble......

at least so far, the new heat tape did its job beautifully, and the repairs to the underbelly paid off....

Brenda (OH)
Barb P

Yikes! I never thought of that. Thanks Brenda.
BarbP
Yanita

Hey Ladies,

LOL, this happened to me last winter and yes, it was a spendy little service call for 2 triple A's.

I think I mentioned this awhile ago when posting on tips for winterizing.

Since this is not about repairs I am going to move this to off topic.

Merry Christmas ,
Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
WildIrish

Also important...make sure you know HOW to change your thermostat's batteries. I once ran into that problem, which is pretty frightening when it's 115 degrees outside, and your A/C could go off at any time....
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/2v9p75c.gif[/img]