PAINTING WALLS QUESTION AGAIN

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lacombek

Hi there,
I am re posting this question. Not sure if you got this in my post yesterday. See below:
Its me again! Ok if i roll the walls with the texture, can I mix the primer with the texture and "kill two birds with one stone". I have done nothing to the walls other than clean and lightly sand them and I have filled the seams in the wall board. In other walls if I do both primer and texture together, is my next step to paint. THe mud on the seams is bonding well with the wall. But I know I still need to prime and I want texture. Second if I just trowel the compount on do I just paint or should I prime the compound first?
Yanita

Hi,

Your original post is just a few down from this one. I will answer this but please reply within this thread so we do not have 2 going on the same thing.

You can add the primer to the compound, although it will dilute the compound. Been told you can add your paint color to the compound as well. Personally I have never tried this. I am not one to try to take short cuts when I am paying for materials and investing many hours of painting and texturing.

Do a Google on Venetian plaster, this will give you the visual of the way my walls look texturally. I achieved my look by doing this...

Cleaning the walls
Priming the wall
Applying texture in various layers (compound)
Primed dry texture
Painted
Glazed

If you want to use a textured paint then I advise you follow the directions that are going to be on the label. I personally would never paint MH walls without first using a bonding primer prior to painting.

You might also want to try the textured paint on a small area and see if you like it. About all that I have seen looks and feels like various grades of sandpaper.

Good luck,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
peachlizzard

I agree with Yanita. Any textured paint I have used feels like it has sand in it. I painted a basement wall with it and it feels just like sand paper on the walls. I do not plan to ever use textured paint again. If you brush bare skin on it, it hurts!