Mobile Home Furnace Fumes

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

bestnana913

Recently we fired up our furnace and it ran fine. About 2wks ago it started to make this mis-fire noise but yet would still heat and blow. One night it stopped running so we just hit the re-set with still the same result; some mis-fire; would run a cycle shut off but the difference would be that to get the furnace to run again we would have to continually hit the re-set; my husband thinking air in the line tried to bleed the line with no results; no kerosene was even coming through so our first thought was water in the line and it froze and blocked the kerosene. The next day we bought a new outside filter and inside nozzle and the guy at the supply store said to add a little bit of dry gas to the fuel tank as we've not been able to afford a tank or kerosene so we have been continually just buying at the gas station and putting it in ourselves. We didn't change the filter or the nozzle but instantly tried the dry gas with good results. The furnace started running again. I could here the instant change in the running of the furnace once we added the dry gas and the furnace ran fine for about 2 days. We then started smelling kerosene fumes; we've already decided that originally the line wasn't clogged by water/ice as the days since then have been well above freezing and our new dilemma started during the day--I will add that before the strong smell of kerosene in the house that mis-fire noise happened just one time/one cycle and now the fumes. Since this point in time the line bleeds but the furnace won't fire. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated before I go a spend a bundle for perhaps nothing. Should we have just stuck with the changing of the nozzle and the outside filter or are we looking at something bigger than those two items.
Yanita

Good morning,

Welcome to the site.

Our tech will need the make and model of your furnace to aid in trouble shooting your problems. Please review the posting tips on this sub forum as other info maybe needed.

Thank you,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
bestnana913

Good Morning to you and sorry for leaving out the important info. It's a Miller Gun Model CMF80-AG
bestnana913

I wanted to let you know that my husband changed the outside filter and changed the nozzle---there was alot of junk in both not to mention the outside filter unit that houses the filter had about an inch thick of ice on the bottom---furnace fired and seems to be running fine however, we still seem to be getting a fainter smell of kerosene---even though not as strong we're still getting the fumes. Any ideas?
Robert

Hi,

Could be a build up from the repeated hitting of the reset button.

May need to open up and inspect for the smell. If there is a buildup, it needs to be cleaned thoroughly and resolved before further use.

Best to call an hvac tech for safety concerns.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?