Shock Hazard

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Arlo

A local farmer, age 28 and the father of four, was trying to fix his microwave last week. It got power but didn't heat. He UNPLUGGED it and took the back off the appliance. He received a shock that made his heart stop. Tragically he died. According to news reports this happens to at least four people every year. Thought I'd pass it along. Does anyone know of other appliances that can still hold a shock after they are unplugged?
Harry

Hi

Air conditioner.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg S

Computer monitors. I use to repair the old style terminals and monitors from the 80s/90s and would often get set on my backside.
The electrical charge was retained in components (transformer I think) supplying power to the screen. We had to remember to ground the unit to drain off power before working on it.
I do not know if modern monitors are the same.
Greg

Anything with a capacitor should always be treated as live. I always use a screw driver and short across the terminals of the capacitor to make sure they are discharged before handling them. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
garrett_reukauf

And correct me if I'm wrong Greg. But.... It's not the amount of VOLTS that's dangerous, it's the amount of AMPS. Right or wrong?
Robert

Hi All,

Capacitors are in a lot of items and can/do carry fatal charges when removed from power and can/will/have killed.

Old style tv picture tubes, same thing.

Yes Garrett, it is the current that kills/injures.

It does not take a lot, depends on the situation at time as to damage it does.

Electricity is very unforgiving, shows no partiality and will kill anyone at anytime.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Greg

You are correct, it is a combination of voltage & amperage. I have been bitten by auto ignition voltage that approches 75000 volts, yes it hurts and can momentarly stop your heart.

The times I have been bitten by ignition voltage it feels like someone just hit my arm with a baseball bat, the pain only lasts a few seconds, but it still hurts like h@##!!!

That is the very reason that we shy away for giving detailed advice on working around electricity. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Paradoxmaker

Robert wrote:Capacitors are in a lot of items and can/do carry fatal charges when removed from power and can/will/have killed.
I've had the absolute crap shocked out of me by a camera flash capacitor. The camera stopped working so i took it apart to see if there was anything i could do to fix it. After poking and prodding with my fingers for a few min i crossed the cap circuit for the camera flash strobe and it discharged.

Damn finger was numb for a week.
WildIrish

I remember doing something incredibly stupid a couple years ago. I was adding RAM to my aunt's PC, which is normally a no-brainer.

Only this time, I'd forgotten to unplug the computer!

Thank heavens that God sometimes chooses to protect ignorant people!
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/2v9p75c.gif[/img]