Considering replacement of unit.. Advice?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

tjobrien21

Hello,

My wife and I have a 1996 Clayton mobile home with an all-in-one heat pump called "The Insider". We bought the home new, and this is what came with it. It's loud, obnoxious, and this past summer, it broke down. The service guy replaced a capacitor on the compressor and charged us $360, but hey... It was a Sunday in August in Alabama, 95deg outside and about 130deg indoors. And the golden capacitor made the unit run again.

Bottom line: I'm thinking about replacing the unit. I'll begin by saying I don't know a lot about HVAC, so please bear with me.

I want to replace it with a split unit - I want the loud parts outside where they belong! Also, considering the age of the unit we have and possible technological advances in that time.. Would I be likely to see a major reduction in energy usage? Our power rates have gone up and my utility bills are obscene compared to what they used to be.

Here are random facts that might help:

1. The vents for heat/ac are in the floor.
2. The unit sucks outside air in from under the MH
3. It then vents out through a vent in the roof.
4. We're in the Huntsville, AL area, so winters are relatively cold, and summers are REALLY hot and humid.
5. The mobile home is 16x80.

I guess here's the question list:

1. What's a good brand, and what should I avoid?
2. Can 'standard' AC units for houses go in mobile homes?
3. What's the right size unit? Is more "tonnage" better? Just get the biggest one you can afford? How does that work?
4. Lastly, what would be a reasonable price for something like this?

Many thanks,
Tim
Robert

Hi Tim,

I realize it was a Sunday in August, but $360 for a capacitor replacement is ludicrous and he should be reported to BBB.

That's a $40 max part and a 5 minute job after initial diagnosis.

Give me a couple days and I'll give the info requested as best I can. We do not give prices or brand choices here, that is best left to installer.

Also, find the installer FIRST, more important than the brand.

BTW, that rip-off hacker that charged $360 is not the installer I'd choose.

Thanks,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
tjobrien21

Robert wrote: That's a $40 max part and a 5 minute job after initial diagnosis.
I was pretty shocked. They said it'd be $120 to come diagnose the problem being a Sunday and all, and that covered the first hour's labor as well.

When he said it was a capacitor I expected a bill in the neighborhood of $160 to $200. I googled HVAC compressor caps from my smartphone, if I remember, cost was about $15-30, and I figured they'd double it.. Getting a bill for $360 was definitely a surprise.
Robert wrote: BTW, that rip-off hacker that charged $360 is not the installer I'd choose.
I agree. They had us over the barrel at the time, but not now. They won't be getting any repeat business from us. Had they treated us right, I'd be a loyal customer - go figure. Some folks don't think that far ahead I guess.

Thanks so much for your assistance - I really do appreciate it!!
Robert

Hi Tim,

1.- As stated previously, we do not give out brand preferences mainly due to selling parts for most. The installer is FIRST decision to make and then let them advise on brands they install.

The thing to avoid is what you just paid $360 to learn, they're out there, so please beware.

2.- Standard a/c evaporator coils can be used if they fit in the space and your furnace blower can handle the needed cfm for it.

IF going with a self-contained/packaged unit, the blower motor must be for MH ducts.

3.- Have installer do a ACCA Manual J Load Calc. to determine correct size, never want too small or too big. IF they don't use Manual J and go by a rule of thumb, keep looking. That is not installer of choice.

4.- Prices also fall into question # 1 catagory, due to variables in prices from one area to another and one contractor to another.

Find 2 to 3 companies, get estimates, do homework, ask questions and go from there.

Just for added info, I would not have come out on Sunday as I do not work on Sundays. Saturdays and holidays is 1 1/2 my normal cost. That would have been $97.50 + $10 trip charge + part .

$107.50 + $40 approx. = $147.50 - 10% first time customer discount = $132.75 approx. .

IF I finished in 30 minutes or less (good possibility), it would have been 1/2 labor charge making total of $88.87 .

So, even if someone charged twice as much as me, still about $100 less than they charged.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?