hanging shelves

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lefties

Hi guys n gals,
I want to hang a coat rack and shelf about 6 ft up on the wall behind my door. Is there danger of hitting electrical wires that high up? Thx
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
Harry

Hi

If you find the studs you should be ok.

My MH has nail gards in the holes where the wiring goes through the studs.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hey Lefties,

Good to see ya again!

As for your question...LOL, it's a good one. I agree with Harry, but at the same time I find no definitive way they run electrical in these homes. For me when I am going to make a wall penetration I always look for the closet ceiling light and switch, keeping in mind they seem to take the shortest route!

If in doubt shut off the electric while you are installing the shelf.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

I would say you should be OK, but FYI they make electronic stud sensors that also sence electricity. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
lefties

Yea Greg,,i was thinking they did,,but DO THEY WORK? JD,,got an answer on them???
Greg

Mine does. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
lefties

thx,,ill get one
JD
Site Admin

If your porch light is on the other side of where you want the coat hanger, then there would be wires in the area. Other than that, you are pretty safe at 6' up, but as others have implied, not always. Seen weird things in mobile homes.

I don't have an electrical sensing stud finder so I don't know how well that part works, but I have had limited success with electronic stud finders. I only use them as a last resort. On a lot of mobile homes I work on, I can find the nails or staples for wall panels, even painted or textured, by looking real hard for them. Also, if you have wood siding, you can find the studs from the outside and measure off to the inside to get a real close start. Then whether using the stud finder or look and tap method, I use a finish nail to be sure. It would be a very good idea to turn off the breaker to outlets or lights in that immediate area. One of those "Do as I say do, not as I doo doo" things.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.