sweating air ducts

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

rickbrk

I am starting to get soft spots in the floor running over the air ducts. They appear to be sweating pretty bad. There also seems to be moister wicking up onto the floor joists. Is there something I can do to fix this? I have the metal rectangle ducts . is there a product I can put around it? can I wrap it in plastic or something?

Thanks
Robert

Hi,

I'm moving this over to HVAC forums and will answer there.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Robert

Hi,

The duct will sweat when the cold air flowing through it is met with warm air against the metal duct.

IF it is sweating, need to inspect underbelly and skirting and ensure they are sealed up tight with no holes.

You cannot wrap the duct as it serves as a means to keep water pipes warm from transfer heat loss and keeps pipes from freezing.

Because the water pipes are mostly run through the underbelly, you should also check for a water leak as floor damage as you described would be rare from duct condensation alone.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?