Hardiboard siding

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Bethk

We have (I believe) hardiboard siding on our 1989 mobile. I've noticed that some of it is starting to fall apart. Right now since we are remodeling the inside we can't afford to reside the house. Where can hardiboard be bought? We just need a few pieces. Is this something we can get at Lowe's or Home Depot?

Thanks.

Beth
Greg

I know Lowes has either Hardiboard or a similar product, not sure about HD.
I would get the outside sealed up before you do much more inside work, if you have water getting inside it can ruin the inside work. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Bethk

Thanks Greg. There are a few small spots that look really weathered and one spot where it looks like water damage, I think from when the front bath and water heater had leaked. We will replace those pieces first. I'm just really glad that we can buy this without having to reside the whole place yet!
Arlo

Is this your original siding? Hardiboard was not sold in the U.S. in 1989. You probably have HARDBOARD siding. It was a composit of sawdust and glue. It was made by several companies and it falls apart if not kept painted. Hardiboard and Hardiplank don't they are made of concrete. Hardboard gets spots on it that look like mildew and it gets wavy. There were lawsuits over it. I'm not sure where you would get a replacement as it is not sold anymore. You could try calling some HARDIBOARD installers as they tear it of of houses that they are residing. The names are really similar. I have the crummy hardboard and aspire to have the Hardiboard. I have some rot under doors even though I have kept it caulked and painted. Hardiboard is expensive and it was designed for use on coastal homes. You can also get Hardipanel which looks like T-111 siding and some folks here use it for skirting.
Bethk

Yes, I think you are right. We didn't know that you needed to keep it painted to keep it from rotting. It looked *good* until recently when we looked at it closely. I'm afraid that we will have to re-side before we can afford it. We're trying to get out of debt, not incure more, but it will be an even more expensive fix if water gets through.

I looked online and a class action suit is now closed. Wish we knew about it sooner. Our mobile is 24x48. Have any idea approximately what it would cost to reside with vinyl?
Arlo

I just got the lawsuit info from a friend. They are still sending out postcards to some neighborhoods here that were built with hardboard. I looked at www.claimsourceone.com and I took it to mean that it is closed. The phone number they list is (888) 474-0775. I'm going to try calling next week. (It's Friday night). I will let you know what they say. I guess it's worth a try.
Bethk

Thanks for the info. Worth a shot! Any little bit will help.
Greg

Don't spend the money yet, class action suits take YEARS to settle. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Bethk

Well unfortunately we don't have that long. I'd worried what this coming winter will bring. You know, rainy Oregon.
Bethk

Arlo,

I emailed the claimsource people and they responded back that this class action suit ended in 2005. They said if we knew the manufacturer of the siding we could contact them directly concering warranty, so I am out of luck. Let me know now you fair.
Arlo

I spent all day yesterday with my son selling Cub Scout popcorn outside a grocery store sided with HARDBOARD. I had a conversation about with a dad who is very handy. He said his neighbors (small stick built rancher) got about $2,000 a couple of years ago but they've moved. He made a claim, an inspector came out, last year and hasn't heard anything more. He recently painted his house and made repairs using HARDIBOARD, the cement stuff. He says Lowes had a HARDIPLANK that had a profile similar to the old stuff and he patched it in where needed. Butt the joints over a vertical frame member (2x4 or 2x3) and caulk where pieces join. Any good DIY book or website can show you how to repair wood siding. It's the same process. Good luck.