preventing bathroom repairs?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MikeJoelagain

We just redid the floor in the bathroom. The toilet had rotted the floor out from condensation. We replaced the pressboard with plywood. We put the toilet back on and of course water starts dripping.

How can we stop this. I REALLY don't want to have to go through all this again in a few months (or a year). Is there something we can put on the tank and bowl to prevent this?

I thought about trying to make some kind of insulated cabinet around the tank but what about the bowl?

Thank you
Mike
troyster

Hi Mike! What you need to do is insulate the inside of the tank. There are do it yourself foam insulating kits to take care of this. The only other alternative is to buy a new insulated toilet tank.
Dirty White Boy

I installed a tempering valve. It adds just a touch of hot water to the toilet, not barely enough to make a difference in the hot water tank so my electric bill didn't suffer. I should of gone with a insulated tank but didn't realize the problem untilI installed my new toilet...
MikeJoelagain

Does that valve work?
I've always wondered if it could since (as when you go to use the hot water) it always takes a little while for the hot water to reach the valve (until it does the water is cool).
I figured that by the time the tank was full the hot would probably just be getting to it?

Does it work?

I'm testing something.
I sprayed some great stuff on the inside of one wall of the tank. I then pressed it down enough with some plastic wrap (peeled off the wrap and tossed it). After about 30 to 60 minutes there is still no condensation on that area.
I then wanted to see what would happen if it got damaged.
I squished it against the tank to try to get some water into it (still no problem), then I broke the outer skin of it to see what would happen. I am still waiting to see about this last one.

Even if I need to put some plastic over the great stuff, it still seems worth it since the great stuff is an insulator AND a glue. Also if it doesn't work I just take a paint scraper to it.

Thanks
Mike
Greg

I am not sure how well sprayed on foam will hold up under water. I think I would try rigid foam insulation glued to the inside of the tank if the water disolves it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."