"attic" blown in

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Loki

I have just finished my new metal roof and was thinking...I bet there is not much insulation in my attic space. Got to wondering how would I have someone come blow in insulation? Would it be a good thing to have gable vents put in and have them blow it then or do they go at it a different way on our homes? By adding blown insulation should I put in gable vents on the sides? Or would they do me no good after adding the blown stuff? I am trying to get the best return on investment here and keep my heating and cooling cost down to a minimum.

Here is my thought process. Cut room for two gable vents on the north and south side of the house around the marriage line area and before adding the vents get the attic full of insulation filling from both sides I should be able to get good even coverage on 68x28 feet right? Then put the gable vents in place and call it good. Please help as you see I am lost in thought...
WildIrish

Um...I think this belongs in the mobile home repair section.

This section is for off-topic stuff not related to mobile homes or their repair. :)

(Not trying to be a moderator here...just giving you some advice so that a mod won't have to move your topic or whatever.)
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/2v9p75c.gif[/img]
Yanita

Hi Loki,

I will move this topic to Repairs so it gets the answers you need.

Thanks Wildirish...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

I would think it would be difficult to maneuver the hose through the webbing of the trusses and get anything close to even coverage. I have never worked with blown in insulation before though, other than to remove it.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
flcruising

I've blown in cellulose insulation before, and like JD says, you would have to point the nozzle where you want it to go to get the coverage needed to be beneficial.

A professional MAY be able to do so with a long extension of piping, but even then, I don't know how they'd want to handle a 20-30' pipe 12-15' in the air.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Harry

Hi

I saw this on youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lAISHayc30I

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Dirty White Boy

My neighbor rented the machine from home depot today...

He already had the bathroom ceiling down, so from there he could reach multiple areas. Another hole cut into the hallway was all he needed. We used a piece of pvc to "guide" the blown in where it needed to be.