window help please

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty_joanne

We currently have a block window in the bathroom and it has broken blocks. We need to either a. replace the blocks or b. install standard window from home depot(window would be larger than currently is).
Problem is that the windows at home depot do not have the flange on the top. The flange is only around the sides. dh needs window with flange/outside lip all the way around the outside of the frame so the vinyle siding will have somewhere to go. he says that the home depot windows can't be j-channeled because of the lack of the flange.
Can someone please help. How do we install a standard window when it doesn't have a top flange on the outside of the window?
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/b ... ure015.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/b ... ure019.jpg
Greg

I don't think I have ever seen a "new construction" type window with out a top nail flange. Are you looking ar replacement type windows? Personally I always go with the new construction type Pella windows, you will need to reframe the opening since I doubt you will find the same size unless you special order it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
betty_joanne

we looked at the instock windows at lowes and the side have 1" or so flanges but the top only has maybe a quarter inch flange.

Does j-channel have to be used at the top where the lap siding is with the standard windows.

anyone have a picture of a standard non-mobile home window that shows how the lap siding should be around it at the top?

We are tempted to just wall it in and forget the window. If we can't figure this out that is the route we will go. anyone know regulations about having a window in a small room/closet? We had a block window before so not exactly a fire escape.
steve

my 2 cents.....the window at Lowes you are looking at probably has had the flange broken off. Windows have either full flange all the way around (new construction) or no flange (remodel). If the room is a bedroom it should have an egress window for fire escape. Some other window distributors will have windows with the "J" channel built into the window. either way will work but like Greg said...you either custom order window to fit your opening or by a stock window and adjust your opening
Brenda (OH)

this company on internet has cases of acrylic blocks and supplies to make your own window, maybe it is the way to go if you want to just save the current window. I did not check the prices. if you call, they may be willing to sell you just a few blocks?

http://www.acrylicblocks4less.com/page/page/4473345.htm

Brenda
Greg

It is possible that the one you looked at had the nail fin (the official name for the flange) folded down. Look close, I think many manufacturers fold them down for protection during shipping.
One thing I found when I did our windows the special order windows were about twice the price of stock sizes. Greg
oldfart

Greg I just wanted to make a small point here but a most important one. You mentioned that "custom ordered windows might cost double what a custom ordered window would." Not always so! Let me explain. I had to replace several windows in the livingroom of my 12X70 ca. 1970 mobile home. On one side was a "bow-window" and on the other side was 3 seperate windows. None of the standard windows would fit. Not wide enough... too tall. I measured and fit the 3 window opening, the bow-window opening and installed two (2) custom ordered Pella window in said opening. Yes..they're sliding windows. Too wide to use a standard up/down window. No problem. Instead of installing 3 seperate windows on the east side I installed 1. On the west side I chucked the bay-window and installed one of the same size. My cost was under $200 per window. Custom ordered from Lowes. Pella windows with Low-E glass. Yes..a custom ordered window may be more expensive..or not..it depends. JMHO of course. Audie..the Oldfart...
Greg

Audie, you must have gotten lucky, EVERY special order window that I priced at both Lowes & HD were almost double the stock size and about a month wait. Now I was lookig for double hung, not sliding so that could make a difference. Greg
JD
Site Admin

I ordered a 35.5 x 37 vinyl remodel window today for $125. It is replacing one broken mobile home aluminum window, so there is no grids. Also it is under an awning, so it is ordered with no Low-E. Customer wanted the "economy" window. A good Milgard would only be $20 or so more.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
oldfart

Aye Greg looking back at my post it's a wonder you understood it at all! (A custom ordered window might cost double what a custom ordered window....?????????) What-the-???? O.K...lets do some back-tracking. I've never found/seen a standard window available from Lowes/H.D. that will fit in a mobile home. Mobile home windows/doors/tubs/showers and most other standard other items..ain't standard. So..when it comes time to replace a window we have only 1 option. Pick the nearest standard window available at Lowes/H.D. and cut/modify the opening to suit or order up a custom sized widow to fit. In any case you're gonn'a have to do some cuttin' an fittin' to get it installed. Also...the walls in most older mobile homes are thinner than the normal 2X4 walls. This further gammahooches the job. JMHO of course. Audie...the Oldfart....
Greg

Perhaps the I should have used the word "Stock size" rather than standard. As you say there will in all likelyhood be some cutting involved. Greg