RE: new subfloors

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bkbunny

Hi all thought I would start new post since other was getting long.
Well I went to get materials for sub floor yesterday, and when I heard price of plywood (32.00) :shock: I then asked about OSB.
My son is doing the work (mothers day gift lol). :D
I called him from store and told him the prices, he said well you gonna live here forever, I said yeppers I intend to he said well go with the plywood (had his charge card with me). Just to darn cheap I just couldn't do it!!
I thought about all the stuff I have read in this forum, and well the problem with back door leak is fixed and cost me $$$ and sooo
I went with the OSB when i got back home with my purchases he just shook his head at me,,:roll:
But,,, I did get the right screws he wanted :lol:
Greg

As I have said, OSB is my second choice. Not sure what the price difference where you live, but anything is better than partical board!! Greg
Last edited by Greg on Sun May 11, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bkbunny

OSB was 13.59 a sheet.
Arlo

I just purchased OSB subfloor for 5.99 a sheet at Home Depot to make a repair.
I just saw some 400k+$ homes being built using OSB and it's a good bet the floors in them are intended to last at least 30 years!
JD
Site Admin

OSB does have a lot more flex to it than plywood. 3/4" OSB will feel like 5/8" AC ply when walking between the joists. But it is still an approved subfloor.

Plywood can delaminate because it will have some voids in the middle plys. When moisture gets in there, it can rot. But we are talking a long term flooding (like plumbing leak) situation. OSB does not have the voids because of the way it is made with wafers. The plywood will be sturdier because the outside ply's grain runs lengthways with the interior plys alternating. If you look at the back (bad side) of AC ply, you will see these cat eye looking "plugs". Those plugs fill the voids in the C grade ply layer. They do not plug the internal voids.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
lefties

excellant post guys
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
bkbunny

6 bucks a sheet,,,, WOW,,,,, I live amongst the trees lol and we pay the bucks for shredded wood chips lol,,,,