Partial front wall removal.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Yanita

Hi,

I am certain I risk getting chastised for this post but I feel an obligation to do so. I mean no disrespect nor do I mean to insult anyones intelligence.

I have watched this thread from the beginning...these are my concerns...in the original post the poster says he/she does not know if this a load bearing wall although it has sliders and windows, it also is an exterior wall. JMO here, but that is a statement/acknowledgement that this poster has limited skills in this area.

This is a major reconstruction for someone with limited carpentry skills. Not to mention there will also be inside the wall wiring, relocation of outlets, switches etc...

Somno, what is going into this area, are you going to re frame to become a solid wall, replace with different doors, windows? What is the project other than removal of the sliders and window already there?

Have you been to your local building office and gotten a building permit? Are you completely knowledgeable of this remodel? I am concerned about the safety of you and the potential serious damage your home could receive if you are not completely aware of all that is involved.

The pictures that have been provided are great, but in no way do any of them show the actual steps as to how they got to where they are. To open up an area as large as you are will require deadmans set in place until the new frame work is installed.

Again, I mean no disrespect to anyone, but please know what is involved before you begin demo. Please set the saw zall down if you are uncertain on any aspects of this.

In closing I will leave you this link for you to review...

http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_guide/diagram.htm

Also Mark, our fearless leader has a great Mobile Home Repair manual for sale on site. Click on the BOOKS/PARTS link in the task menu. You can either get the manual or order the download version.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

I would think that there will be electrical in it. Not an amatuers job and you need a permit. You must have outlets 6' from the door and spaced within 12' of each other. I assumed there were construction skills available ...hope so!

Jim
Harry

Hi

Yep, this is a major project. Yanita's concerns are valid.

Thinking back when we moved from the big house in south Florida to the MH/fishing shack where we are now.......the wife almost wore her finger out pointing at stuff she wanted done. Five years later I am still working on her do-list.

The wall in question is a really important wall. For example at the center line are located the roof ridge beam posts/columns. If you'll look under the MH there should be support piers below the center line posts/columns. Removing this wall could cause catastrophic damage. You would have to compensate for the loss of this wall.

JMHO

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
oldfart

Folks something I noticed in Jims photo is there is no connection nor support at the gable end of this job other than the "icicle Christmas lights" at that end of the home. Yup...he's framed in for the new windows..there's no connection at present between the gable end and the outside walls to support it. Hmmm? Now, it amazes me at how these homes hold up and how we can take so much away and they still don't fall down. But I wouldn't count on it! Before ya take something out..consider what it holds up. During my remodel (1970 s.w. 12X70) I ripped out the entire outside wall of my kitchen on the east side. The "studs" (a joke) were all rotted away..so was the floor/floor joists and the rim joists as well. 'Till I got done ripping out all the rotted wood and such the only thing holding up the outside (east) wall of my home was the metal siding!! Folks..this ain't good! This metal siding is about like Reynolds Wrap as far as strength goes. One puff of wind or a bit of rain and I'd'a been in deep guano! I got lucky. Calm days and I worked my hindermost parts off to gitter' done. I'm sure Jim did the same! Mind ye I ain't criticizing anybodys work. I been there..done that. All I'm sayin' is look the job over..call in all the favors yer friends owe ye and don't tarry around. Rip it out..close it in and gitter done a.s.a.p.! JMHT of course. Audie..the Oldfart...
somno

Hi Yanita and everybody else

No you won't get chastized I respect and value you input along with everybody elses input.

Yes I do have limited skills in this area.

Yes thereis an outlet at the lower left of the window. I was going to relocate this on the remaining wall on the inside left. I do have electrical experience.

No I haven't been to the building office yet and therefore I haven't gotten a permit yet.

I realize I will have to put up supports until I get up the header and side supports.

And as far as putting down the sawsall well my wife wants an opening to the front lanai. Yanita, I wish you could talk to her.

Actually we now live in Tennessee with our house for sale and it's taking longer then we figured. We listed in January. So, it looks like we will have time to think and plan the construction in Winter Haven FL.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Time comitments you know.

Thank you
Jim
Jim from Canada

Hey Audie
Good call there, but if you look at the second photo done from the inside there is a cripple stud put in at the peak and at 16" OC. My eyes miss things too as I get older, lol.

Jim
Yanita

Hi Somno,

Whew! Am glad that you understood what I was saying. For what it is worth I did put out an couple emails to other members to see if I was reading/understanding your post differently than others.

Our goal on this forum is to always try to be respectful and try to help others..that's what we are here for! :D

What do you want to do with this wall once you have removed it, the window and sliders as well?

Please make sure that you get a permit, especially since you are trying to sell the home.

Gotta ask, whats a lanai? And do I dare ask what you would like me to "talk" to your wife about? :shock:

Again, Thanks for understanding and not taking it personally. My only concern was harm to you and major damage to your home.

Good luck...
Yanita
Harry

Hi

A lanai is a porch. In this case an addition. The wall in question was originally the end of the home.

2008 Hurricane season starts June 1st. Historically Winter Haven (Polk county) gets hit a lot. Great area though...strawberries, theme parks...not too remote. You may want to put off major projects till later and work on tie-down maintenance, insurance policy and finding which shelter you go to when the storms are blowing. JMHO

Take care.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
oldfart

Hmmmmm? Aye Jim...another little jab at us ole codgers with poor eyesight..eh!! (second photo..cripple-stud..16in.o.c.) Wagh! I expect it from Greg, Mark and Yanita!! Harrumph! I'm still looking at the photo..cain't see it...crap! Don't mind me Jim..this might take a spell. Audie...the Oldfart..fumbling with 3 pairs of glasses...grrrr...! ;)
Yanita

Hey Ole Fart,

Go to the first page of this thread...the second pic down as Jim says has the pic of what you are looking for...nooooow, what were you expecting from me...an extra pair of glasses or a cold beer while you ponder of these pics!

I can sympathize about the glasses though, and missing things...

Have a great day!

Yanita
Jim from Canada

I have to put on my glasses too! Not exactly a spring chicken anymore...but damn good looking lol

Jim
Harry

Hi

Glasses?!

I only wear them to see with.

Harry
chasMB

oldfart wrote:Hmmmmm? Aye Jim...another little jab at us ole codgers with poor eyesight..eh!! (second photo..cripple-stud..16in.o.c.) Wagh! I expect it from Greg, Mark and Yanita!! Harrumph! I'm still looking at the photo..cain't see it...crap! Don't mind me Jim..this might take a spell. Audie...the Oldfart..fumbling with 3 pairs of glasses...grrrr...! ;)

Looks to me like they frame the flagpole out front.....