Water Heater Replacement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ddeblance

Looking to replace my Intertherm 30 gal LP water heater. It's on it's last leg. Sounds like it's coming through the wall after someone takes a long hot shower!
Anyway, I was thinking about changing over to electric to get off of some of the propane. My water heater closet sits next to the clothes dryer and I was wondering if it's possible to use the unused electrical outlet intended for an electric dryer?? Or even using it for an electric tankless water heater?? Since I don't think they ran electricity to the water heater closet like they did for the stove and dryer even though I went with the gas option on everything......

-D
Harry

Hi

We went 100% electric and we're glad we did. Last months bill was $116.00

On the electrical hookup I would hire an electrician in order to avoid problems and the danger of a fire.

JMHO

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
ddeblance

That's good to hear. I'm just researching the possibilities right now and hoping that I can use the dryer outlet that's not being used by a dryer.... I would like to go with a tankless heater, but unsure of the brands and wanting to stay low on the price. Hoping to stay under $600 for a tankless heater.

-D
Harry

Hi

I don't have any first hand experience with tankless.

I notice that Lowes sells them. Here's a link:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
ddeblance

Well, I'm looking at the Tempra 12 Stiebel-Eltron (14.4 kW, 240V, 60 AMP) or the SCR2 N-120 Titan (11.8 KW, 220V/240V, 54 AMP)...
Either of these would run on the power that an electric clothes dryer would run on correct?? I know an electrician, so I'm going to ask him before I go any further.... Seems to easy..lol.
Robert

Need to know if you have a large enough service panel, is it 200 Amp ?

Will need that most likely, then have an electrician hard wire over to WH closet IF you never intend to have an electric dryer.

Then make sure size dimensions fit in WH closet.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
ddeblance

Wouldn't the power used for a clothes dry be sufficient enough for an electric water heater??
Robert

Hi,

The question is will the service panel NOW support the electric water heater.

Since the home was new, things may have changed, you should never guess when needing to know if your electric service can support a electrical change.

Everything has been fine without using that outlet, will it remain that way if you use it ?

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
chasMB

When you went with the gas option they could have put in a smaller main electrical panel and it might not be big enough for an electric ANYTHING with that much amperage draw. The outlet in the wall for the dryer might not be hooked to anything behind it OR in the main panel.
SpongeBob

Hi, Your dryer ran with a 30A circuit and your tankless electric water heater is going to need a 60A circuit. Both of those circuits do NOT USE the same size conductors. Thats a big difference. As Robert stated, unless you have a 200A service then you are most likely in need of an upgrade to your electrical panel if you install a MH approved tankless water heater.
-Bob
oldfart

ddblance I'm going to back up a few posts here and answer one of your questions. "Wouldn't a 30amp. clothes dryer circuit be enough to service a hot water heater?" Yes. A normal electric hot water TANK heater...less than 60gal. I'm not sure why you want to go tankless. Are they that much more energy efficient? Do they take up less space than the LP unit you have at present and do you need this space for some other purpose? Hmmm? A tankless hot water heater must heat up water as it enters the home...ON DEMAND. This means it must use a lot of energy..quickly.. to do so. And the electrical demands are high. On the other hand if you wanted to switch from a propane/L.P. unit to a standard electrical tank hot water heater the demands are much lower and easilly workable. And the dryer outlet would suffice....in my opinion. My 50gal A.O. Smith ProMax hot water tank uses less electricity than my Sears Dryer at any given time. My total electric bill is usually $30 per month. I'm not convinced tankless hot water heaters are all they're cracked up to be. That's just my humble opinion of course. Like many energy saving ideas...great idea..doesn't work in real life. Audie...the Oldfart..
Robert

That dryer outlet will suffice ONLY if the home service panel can NOW support it.

Also, then and only then IF he chooses the correct type water heater.

Without being there and without inspecting the service panel, any other assumptions could prove fatal in a fire due to overloading the panel.

This is a case where facts are needed moreso than opinions due to the safety hazards if wrong.

The question was answered from a safety standpoint.

At this time, I believe this question has been adequately covered within safe reasoning.

Therefore, I am closing this thread at this time.

Thanks,
Robert