Should the furnace be doing this?

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Kyle

We have a 1994 Coleman/Evcon furnace/AC, and we have had a cold snap lately, so we use it alot. Lately on the wall over the right side of the furnace, it is VERY warm. About a 10' x 10" is excessively warm, and then a 1" x 1" space on the wall is actually slightly discoloured. Is this normal or is something wrong? :lol:

chasMB

I would say if it is too warm for your hand to be on the wall comfortably for a few minutes or warm enough to discolor the wall something is wrong.
Kyle

Thanks, I hope not, any more input?
Robert

Hi Kyle,

The wall should not be hot to touch or discolored. Time to call a Tech out to see what's up.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Kyle

Does anyone know what might cause it?
Robert

Is the furnace touching the wall ?

Overheating issue ?

Is there any other appliance on other side of wall ?

Hard to say w/o being there, but it needs to be resolved quickly.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Kyle

OK, I will rephrase it a little. The furnace sits in a space in the wall, there are no appliances in contact with it. Toward the bottom of the furnace where the flame is made (I think :lol: ) on the RIGHT side wall, it gets hot ONLY when the furnace begins to heat up & is on. & also, sometimes the fan will turn itself on for a moment after it hs heat like it is ventilating or something... :?
Robert

Hi Kyle,

It sounds like it is not dispersing the heat well enough and is overheating or has a burner flame issue if gas.

Either way, it needs to be resolved quickly and should be inspected by a licensed HVAC Tech for safety.

Thanks,
Robert
Kyle

Well, can you find them in 'rural' (REALLY rural) areas? :lol:
Kyle

& also will that be expensive :oops: :lol:
Robert

You can find them in most any location and the cost depends on how far out you are and the problem versus amount of labor to resolve.

Irregardless, it is something that needs to be done and cannot be done from here.

BTW, I live and work in a rural area, so we are out there.

Robert
Robert

You're very welcome.

Robert