Knock, Knock, me again...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Dirty White Boy

Fun fun fun...

Having a horrible time with the washer and dryer (stackable) here and I have a question or 2.

Shake, rattle and rollin...

After about 2 hrs, we realized it's as level as it's going to get, still shakes the place.

Tried 2 different sets of "anti-rattle pads"

Still shakin...

Has anyone ever built a "bumpout" of sorts or a very small edition off a hallway or a room to hold a washer and dryer, or am I just beggin for trouble? lol
Manitoba Bill

Maybe you have to de-tune it. LOL

If you can do it one thing to try is a couple of 2" long radiator hose screwed to the wall behind the setup. Drill a hole in the edge and push the screwdriver into it, then insert the screw and attach.

Push the set back onto the hose so there is just enough pressure to flex the hose.

I used this method to silence my el. furnace noise.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Greg

You will have to do some searching, but it seems to me like Mark made a spring loaded platform once to stop the shake. I can't remember how it worked, perhaps he will see this. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Have you tried just putting a piece of 3/4 inch plywood underneath. It may be cause the floors are not real solid. If it does the trick you can either paint the wood, stain it or cover with vinyl, and then trim with quarter round.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Dirty White Boy

There is a piece of 1/2 inch plywood under it already.
Lorne

Maybe 2 rubber balls like airbags on a truck?

They do make small size suspension airbags for generators in Motor homes. Add these to Janitas plywood and it might "float".

Like these, but they come smaller too.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
jubangy

Manitoba Bill wrote:Maybe you have to de-tune it. LOL

If you can do it one thing to try is a couple of 2" long radiator hose screwed to the wall behind the setup. Drill a hole in the edge and push the screwdriver into it, then insert the screw and attach.

Push the set back onto the hose so there is just enough pressure to flex the hose.

I used this method to silence my el. furnace noise.

Could you post a picture of this setup? My furnace has 2 different rattles as well. The one I know how to fix, I just have to remember to grab the model number and what not so I can order parts as apparently someone before me must of replaced the the blower that sucks in fresh air into the combustion, but never screwed it down. There are holes going around the "neck" or whatever you call it for screws, which look like they are supposed to thread into the motor itself, but no screws. The other rattle is something else in the furnace itself that I have yet to nail down but kind of sounds like something that would need to be taken care of with something like the contraption you built. Thx
Manitoba Bill

I have an el. furnace and the noise was from the housing. There were metal brackets screwed to the wall with rubber washers, which transmitted the sound into the walls.

I replaced these with pieces of hose which deadened the sound.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
JD
Site Admin

The customer that had us install this tubular skylight had the same problem as you. He had large stackable front loaders that would vibrate his entire home. We installed 2 sets of adjustable steel piers with a 4x4 beam (approx 6') under the unit and it reduced the vibration tremendously. The beams were placed under the floor joists on each side of the washer/dryer unit. The customers were very happy with it. As you can see by the skylight picture, this is a stout, well built newer home. It has 2x6 wall studs and 12" cathedral ceiling manufactured trusses.

Below are pictures of the home and adjustable pier. That doorway in the hall leads to the utility room.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.