frozen water pipes

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rafo69pe

my water pipes are frozen in my manufacture home, what are the first thing to do,
shadow745

First thing I'd do is find out why they are frozen and try to take steps to keep it from happening again. I think most pipes can be safely heated with a hairdryer or heatgun (lightly) until water flow resumes. Later!
Lorne

As soon as they're thawed run to home depot or lowes and get some insulating wrap or foam pie covers. Maybe an electric heat cord to wrap around them.
All depends on how they are routed under the house. Are they visible or are they up over your bell insulation?

Keep a little dribble going from each faucet at night. Just a dribble. This keeps the underground water flowing. It is warmer underground.

How this helped.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Yanita

Hi,

Go to the Articles link at the top of the page in the blue task menu. There are articles that cover, thawing the lines, heat tape and potential hazards of the water just dribbling.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
RGS

I found that a blow dryer works just fine. I've had to do it a few times especially when I forgot to plug my heat tape in and that first below freezing night. Once thawed I would put heat tape on and wrap with some pipe wrap. If that's the only place that is frozen is where it comes in then you shouldn't have to let your faucets run once the heat tape is on. Otherwise you might have to turn the faucets on more than just a drip if your sewer pipes are not insulated or are only on a slight pitch so they don't freeze. I've had that happen and had to go rent a torpedo heater. Not so much fun I would say.