fpe circuit breaker

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

RGS

Hi, I guess this an electrical question and I know that everyone tends to shy away but I have a situation. I have a Federal Pacific panel with stab lock breakers. After doing some research it looks like these things have a high failure rate which is why I'm going to replace it as soon as I can. Now to the question at hand, I need to separate some circuits because my bedroom, livingroom, kitchen outlets and fridge are on the same circuit, not good. You can imagine my frustration when I goto make coffee in the morning and the breaker trips. Anyways I have an open 20a double pole breaker, will the breakers operate independently if I remove the the little rod in the breaker handles? If not I guess it's off to ebay to get a couple of breakers.
Greg

They should, but do you want to ruin a good 220v breaker that you may need later? the other possibility would be to upgrade the whole box. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jim from Canada

I am not familiar with these breakers, but it sounds like you need an electrician to come in and "balance" your panel, along with some other work. Kitchens should have some "split" recepticles, meaning that the upper and lower plug each go to thier own dedicated breaker. So if you have the kettle and toaster plugged into the same outlet, they are, in fact, each pulling power from thier own breaker. Kitchens should never be wired with any other part of the home. Once you get a consultation from an electrician, it might be a good time to discuss a new panel with more commonly available breakers. Note that code in Canada now required breakers to bedrooms to be arc fault breakers, this will have to be done if you upgrade.

Jim
Jim from Canada

Please note that electrical discussions are allowed, advice is given, usually the advice involves getting an electrician. there are a bunch of knowledgable people on the forum, but no one will suggest a person without electrical skills to start tampering with it. We will gladly suggest what we think needs doing, but we also want to keep members alive and have qualified people doing the work. I do some of my electrical, but when I go to work on the box, it is with a master electrician doing the hands on stuff.

Jim
SpongeBob

Greetings,
the(Federal Pacific) FPE stab-lock breakers are notorious for failure, hazard and breakdowns. (you can GOOGLE) them to read about them. Now is the time to consult a licensed electrician to split your circuits and upgrade your panel. Don't forget permit & inspection.
-hope this helped.
-spongbob
RGS

Thanks for all the replies and yes I did google it when I couldn't find any of those breakers at lowes. That's how I found out about all the problems those panels have.

And Jim, that was my basic intention, I wanted to first get the fridge on its own breaker and then the kitchen outlets. It basically has become more of problem due to running a space heater but I leave it on low so it doesn't draw the 1500 watts. It is at least bearable now but I would like to run a separate line for an electric baseboard heater for the bedroom. Still havn't decided whether to go with the 120v or 240v version, 240v should be a little less expensive to run but will take up an extra spot in the box.

Oh yeah, do I check with the utility co. to see what size entrance line I have, if I'm gonna replace the panel I'd like to goto 200a instead of the 100a I have?
Manitoba Bill

Jim from Canada wrote: Note that code in Canada now required breakers to bedrooms to be arc fault breakers, this will have to be done if you upgrade.

Jim
Att. Jim; Sorry to ask but what are arc fault breakers and why are they needed for bedrooms.
Last edited by Manitoba Bill on Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Greg

Arc fault breakers are similar to GFI, except they are designed to trip when they detect any arching in the circuit. Greg
Jim from Canada

What Greg said...thanks Greg
Bill, I may have been mistaken, it could be Ontario only....good idea none the less.

Jim
Manitoba Bill

Thanks Jim. I figured out what they were but was puzzled by your ref. to bedrooms as opposed to GFCI's in bathrooms, etc.

When I Googled them I see there is a controversy over their use in older homes where they may trip way too often from arcing in older wires and connections. Some are rec. not to use them in older homes.
http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18258
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Greg

I suspect that you will see the Arc detecting breakers used more in the future, if not becoming a requirement. Greg
Robert

I would have to check, but I believe they are already a requirement.

Note that they are required if so, only in new construction or in any home older than code amendment when upgrading or replacing old breakers, outlets.

In an older home, you would upgrade to eliminate old wiring problem.

The reason for them is same as the GFCI. The GFCI is to stop electrocutions around water, as in kitchen, bathrooms and outdoors.

The Arc Fault breakers are to interrupt power when an arc is detected to reduce fire hazard in bedrooms where fires often start while occupants are asleep.

Just another great invention to greatly reduce fires from starting in bedrooms.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?