Induced Draft Motor a problem?

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

crouth

Hi, my name is Chris, and we have a Coleman/Evcon DGAT056BDD. This fall when I first fired up the furnace, the Centrifugal Motor/Induced Draft Motor(IDM) wouldn't start/run. The switches would click, but no movement in the motor. I am pretty handy with stuff, so I took the motor off, and blew it out with a vacuum, spun it a little, and it has worked just fine since then. Now a few months later, I notice that it is not shutting off after the burner lights up. I could've sworn that once the burner really kicks in, the IDM would shut off, am I wrong? Anyway, it just keeps running, but does shut off after the system cycles through, and is done with the heat. Otherwise everything is running fine, no green lights flashing showing a problem or anything. If this IDM is supposed to shut off, and the switch is bad or something, I'd rather replace that now, than have to replace the entire motor later from it burning up from running continously. By the way I did a google search and found an old forum post on your site but it was for a DGAT070BDC, and Robert suggested a relay might be bad, but I don't see any relays on our unit next to the transformer, and the control board is integrated. What do you think? Thanks, Chris
Robert

Hi Chris,

The IDM will continue running throughout heat cycle. It will shut off with the blower motor.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
crouth

Thanks Robert. It's always done this huh? I could've sworn it was shutting off when the burner lit. I've even read where some IDM's keep running and some do not. Chris
Robert

It keeps running. If it quits, it's faulty.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?