Yearly Furnace Inspection & Tune-up

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

I've just made an appointment with my fuel oil provider to have my annual furnace tune-up for the coming winter heating season. My question: Is it necessary to have this done every single year? My furnace seems to be running fine after last year's mild winter, but I also want to keep it in good running condition for as long as possible. I am charged $125 for this service and want to be sure I'm not wasting money. I have a Miller MOC-80 with a Becker burner currently running at 84% efficiency. Thanks.
Robert

Hi,

Not a waste at all. A lot can go wrong over summer and the time to find any problem or potential problem is before you really need it.

It also ensures your safety from a furnace mishap by inspecting it before use.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?

Thanks Robert. I knew I was doing the right thing, but there's always the naysayers that tell you you're wasting money by doing preventative maintenance. I guess those are also the people who call you and Mark at 2AM in a panic when something breaks down!
Robert

LOL, yep and the one's who are placed behind any PM customers I have.

They also pay that 2AM additional fee. :wink:

Here's an example:

During PM inspection I discover a loosening/weakening blower motor mounting bracket.

I replace the bracket and all is well.

Without PM, it isn't discovered, it breaks, motor comes loose and destoys motor, wheel and possibly the housing.

Compare the cost and add this.

PM problem was repaired next day. Without it, it takes two weeks to find and get in the whole blower assembly.

2 weeks without heat and costly repair coming in the end.

This may never happen to you, but has happened many, many times to a homeowner.

$125 per year is cheap insurance when you look at bigger picture.

It doesn't gaurantee that nothing will happen, but it does greatly reduce the percentages and PM customers do get fringe benefits from most companies.

Good decision on your behalf.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?