heating & colling bills??

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

betty

Are the heating & cooling bills always expensive in mobile homes? I have 1973 home & I have to keep warm by heating at 67 (and alot of blankets when I'm sitting around watching tv or on the pc :( ...)when I'm home & 64 when I'm not--- can I go lower in the winter?? I thought I saw or read somewhere you shouldn't keep it below 65 so the pipes dont freeze underneath? My propane is only for heat, everything else is electric & I'm running at like $250 a month on the above & I live by myself - I just think thats crazy!!... I live in south NJ & my elecric bill is like $250 or so in the summertime running the ac on 70, I think I kept it at last summer (not sure-can't remember now)? Any suggestions on getting it warmer in here? I have those dreaded paneling walls that I'm not fond of! Thanks.
Greg

Your best bet would be to get an energy audit done. Many utility companies can do them or steer you in the right direction. There are also grants available in many areas to help pay for what is needed. Do some home work and make a few phone calls, it may be well worth it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

With central A/C, my highest electric bill this year was $133 for one month, all but one of the others were under $100, last month was $59. This includes an electric dryer.
I have natural gas for heat, cooking, and hot water, which runs at a budget payment of $70/mo.
This is for a family of four.
My home is a 1987 model, and I have 6 inch thick side walls. I'd bet yours are closer to 4 inch.
Get the energy audit done. Your local utility company probably handles that. Try to qualify for a weatherization program. You may have to do some searching to find out which local agency handles that.
When I had weatherization here, they checked out everything. My refrigerator was already within their efficiency guidelines. My furnace needed replacement, so they installed a 90% efficient unit. Also they replaced two windows, two bathroom vent fans, the water heater, and sealed holes in the underbelly.
Note that you have to own the home to qualify for weatherization. The energy audit can be done by either an owner or renter.
Do you have your windows covered with plastic on the inside? Doing that may help a lot, since older windows are probably drafty.
betty

ok, I will try to get the energy audit done- I think Atlantic City Electric does that- not sure and no I don't have plastic on my windows, I do own my place & I have no idea where or even how to start looking for places or grants to help me winterize anything? Any suggestions on how I would find out about these places? The township building? I'm sorry I've never had to do this so I don't know where to even start.... 87comm was all this done for free through this program & did you have to meet income requirements & such? And did it have to be done in the winter or am I too late to even try looking?
1987Commodore

Yes, all that was free. There are income requirements involved.
http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/dh ... ealist.doc
Here is a link to a document listing weatherization contacts in NJ.
There will likely be a waiting list. We waited nearly a year after applying.
betty

thank you 87comm, I called them today but of course once I got online & saw that information they were about to close. I was told to come with a bunch of papers & fill out an application, so I will have to do that next week since Friday is my early day & I can get there in time the other days. Greg- do you have information on the grants you were talking about? Any info that could help me get this placed fixed up & sealed I'd be soo happy!! After seeing some of the other posts on here I think I paid way too much money for such an older place & I didnt know what to look for as far as the belly or roof actually, didn't relize it was such a huge factor in trailers :(( When I looked at it a few times it seemed to be warm inside during the cold last year, so idk why its always cold especially the floor now :(
Greg

Here in NY there is a program called HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program) That helps with Bills & equipment. There are county run programs as well. Your best bet is to do some research & ask around what programs are available in your area.

As for grants, check with whoever does the energy audit, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."