Weatherization Program

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

ColoradoGirl42

I've benefited from the info on this site, so I wanted to share some great info in exchange.

We qualified for a federally-funded weatherization program that resulting in us getting wall and ceiling insulation, new furnace, pellet stove, storm windows, and refrigerator -- installed -- for free.

This is a boon for people who are struggling financially (like us). If you make less than twice the poverty level for your size family (or if you're already getting LEAP), you qualify. Everyone we dealt with was polite and professional, and the paperwork was minimal.

The furnace is so efficient that they use PVC pipes instead of metal for the exhaust, so no more $250/month propane charges!

Info is at http://www1.eere.energy.gov/wip/wap.html. I hope this helps others.
1987Commodore

Yes, it is a great program. I rec'd two new windows, two bathroom vent fans, a new 90+ furnace, and a water heater. My refrigerator and cook stove were too new to qualify for replacement. They did adjust the gas stove for more efficient operation.
Our insulation was fine, except for some problems left in the belly because of the pb pipe leaks. They repaired the belly wrap.
There can be a long waiting list. We were on the list for almost a year before our turn came up. I would encourage anyone to apply. It made me feel better to see some of the tax $ I have paid come back home.
ColoradoGirl42

I'm glad for you!

The waiting list here wasn't nearly so long, but we're in a very rural area, AND I think I just happened to hit it lucky.