pellet stove

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

butch2

I live in extreme cold climate --nothern ontario canada

I have a 14/70 1985 sw .I'm heating with electric intertherm that has actually ran quite nicely over the 2 winters we've been here

pellet stoves have really peaked my interest and wondered if there were any fellow cold climate mobile home owners that have installed one of these .

I would keep the electric furnace as it does a nice job of heating 60 % of the home --it just seems to struggle to keep the other end (living room/kitchen warm as there isnt much heat coming from the vents in these rooms --I suspect blower doesnt really have the mojo to blow the heat to the other end (the mobile is in great shape underneath ,cement foundation and cinder block skirting --so there are no loose connection vent wise

I would put the pellet stove in the living room and just play around with its success over the winter --i.e , maybe it heats the whole mobile which would lessen the need to fire up the old electric furnace
Mark
Site Admin

A couple years ago I visited the idea of installing a pellet stove. But then the price of pellets shot up, so I changed my mind.

The other day I saw a story on tv about pellet stoves. Sales are up over 50% this year. I don't know what the price of pellets is, but they said if you are heating with fuel oil, the stove would pay for itself in 1 year. I don't remember what they said about electricity. Electrical rates can vary so widely. The story said compared to fuel oil and propane, natural gas will show the least price increase.

When using a pellet stove, you will want to move the air throughout the home. Perfect way to do that is use the blower on your furnace. The thermostat on this page will run the blower automatically without activating the furnace or a/c: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/solarstat.html.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Jim from Canada

Where in Nor. Ont. are you. My hometown is Sudbury.
BTW, I prefer a wood stove. A bit messier, but you are not relying on a manufactured product to heat with. There must be a place you can cut within reasonable distance.

Jim
butch2

hi jim , I'm 300 k north of your hometown-- in Timmins

my neighbours both have wood stoves -sure makes me jealous on those -30 celcius nights when my eletric furnace is pumping out the kilwowaats and they are burning wood for alot less :cry:

my insurance broker flat out told me she wouldnt be able to find anyone to insure my mobile if I added a wood stove (this was 2 years ago prior to buying it).I'm not too sure if they have the same stance towards the pellet stoves

btw , thanks for the other info too Mark -much appreciated.
Yanita

Hi,

I too will be of little help. Hubby and I bought this place a couple years ago and since it already had the fireplace hearth I wanted a pellet stove. My preference was the Harman, thermostatically controlled...my insurance company had other thoughts.

Although the pellets stoves and wood stoves both come with mobile home approved units, some insurance companies just flat out refuse the installation.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

Timmins??? Heck, been there, nice part of the world. I even worked in Iriquois Falls for a bit. That's even more north. Good fishing in the Abatibi River.
Anyway, maybe check around with other insurers. A MH rated wood stove, properly installed is no more dangerous than any gas fired appliance. JMO, of course.

Jim

I have a pellet stove and absolutly love it, I cut my heating bill 50 percent ! I have a little rascal made by country flame. during the winter I run mine 4-5 hrs each evening and 8-10 hrs a day on the weekends if I'm home (I don't use the stove if i'm not home) Last winter I used 30 bag's of pellets the entire winter. I would certainly consider it if I was you..
Greg

I have been looking into buying one also. Every dealer that I talked to except one said there will be a shortage of pellets this year. If you figure in the increase in sales of pellet stoves alone it is not hard to see what could be coming.
I have been heating with a Monitor 20 for the last 15 years and love it, but the price of Kero. is not going down. If I figured it right a gal of kero is about 25# of pellets so right now pellets are cheaper. I just am worried that if I change over and can't get pellets in February I'll have to change back or buy 3 tons now. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

Pellets are scarce in my neck of the woods (eastern Ontario). Many suppliers tell me they will not likely be able to get any before January. This could push the price up this winter.
Jim from Canada

I have seen wood stoves that are installed outside the home. That may be an option, although I could'nt guide you to any brand or even a store to get one. TSC maybe?

Jim
Dean2

I operate on the simplest assumptions in most cases,often the details shoot My ideas all to hell.

I have heard of multi-fuel stoves,I dunno squat for details. It just makes simple sense to Me that the more fuel choices You have then buying the most affordable in Your area might lessen Your heat bill. Learn a $$-to-therms equation and go with what costs less that month or season.
Yanita

Hi Dean,

Just did a quick review of the link you left...didn't see anything that said this was/was not a mobile home approved unit...

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Dean2

Hi Yanita

I didn't even think about that aspect,,sorry. I was only focused on the multi-fuel aspect and the possible savings it could afford some folks. Glad Ya mentioned it for this particular model. There may be multi-fuel stoves that are MH approved.

One wonders if there is a National standard complete with a list of approved heat sources or if all Ins Companies are different.

Dean
Dean2

I just called and talked to a Rep named Gary or something like that. He said "They are MH approved *if* bolted down"..That kinda threw me a bit cause who the he!! would move a home while the stove was going?! LOL..Anyhow,that's what He said. Here's the ph# for that Magnum Rep.

1-800-495-3196