Kitchen Cabinets and trim...

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Indians

I know this sounds crazy...today I bought a ceiling fan and the color of it is a Cherry or Mahogany and it has the brush nickel for the metal part.

Here is a link to the fan:
https://www.hunter-fans.net/item_detail.asp?editid=6215.

OK... I love this color! I never thought I would! So now guess what. I want my kitchen cabinets and trim to look like this fan.

Does anyone have an idea on how I can create the look on my cabinets and the trim? I think the trim I might be able to buy at Menard's or something...but I don't want to redo the cabinets.

Also what color would look good on the walls with Cherry or Mahogany woodwork?

Never thought anyone would get this excited over a ceiling fan...HUH...LOL!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

indians
kashton

If you want woodwork on the walls, I would suggest just doing the lower wall in the planks(they lock together, but still require nailing) and staining them to the Cherry. You can get the top finish trim for it too. I'll try to find a link, or just take a pic of my aunts kitchen wall.
Then do the top part of the wall a lighter color, so your kitchen doesn't look too small.

JMO.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
kashton

Oh, she also covered the front of come cabinet doors with the planks, then put a trim around them. They are thin and light, and in my opinion, very easy to work with.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Indians

For the woodwork on the walls I was talking about the trim on the floorboard. Sorry.

I found a site that you can do faux painting...what do you guys think of this...

http://www.painterspot.com/Cabinets.htm

but to do all the doors and trim around the doors?

I just can't mix woodwork...like oak with cherry...it will have to be the same thru the whole house.

Thats just me...
Indians

What about painting the cabinets a high gloss black and use nickel handles then use cherry laminated flooring and trim?

What do you think about this?
Susan

Indians,

Thank you for the link. This is great! It should work well on the doors and trim. I have been wanting to do something like this with my kitchen cabinets. It appears to be very simple, even though it takes a little extra time.

I would choose a lighter, soft color for your walls. The dark wood look will really make a statement then.

Good luck with your choices. Post some pictures when you finish your project if you can.

Susan
Yanita

Hi,

JMO, but if all your wood has to match you might want to consider just getting new doors for your cabinets.

You can get stainable grade moulding and base board (the wood at the bottom of the wall, sometimes called shoe moulding as well) at any Lowe's or Home Depot or lumber yard. Trim can get expensive real fast.

If your Hubby has a router you might want to consider getting pine boards, routering your design and then stain and install.

I agree with the light wall coloring. Since brushed nickle is more of a contemporary decor anything in the beige colors would work well.

JMO, Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

A word of caution about black, I have a LARGE tool box that is black, it shows EVERY fingerprint, smudge, dust etc. personally the idea is good but I think you will end up hating it. Ask anyone with black appliances about it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

LOL, Greg,

You got that right, I have black appliances because they looked good...what a PITA!

Yanita
Indians

gotta love ya guys...you crack me up...!

Ya your right about the black. OK back to the drawing board...LOL.

Would it look stupid if I left the cupboards the way they are..."oak look" but when laying down the laminated flooring mix oak with cherry?

Example...take oak strand around the walls then take a cherry strand next then finish all with oak then do a design in cherry wood?

Or maybe not oak maybe a lighter color of laminate then I could paint the cabinets that light color then go cherry wood as my main design and decorate with the light color wood...

If you followed what I just said...more power to you.... :lol:
Yanita

Hi,

Alot of floors are done that way! :D

Have fun with your project, dont forget the pics.

Yanita
Greg

I did a mix & match floor in the hall, White Oak for outside border, red oak, & pecan in the middle. Bought all of it at Lowes on closeout. Go ahead, mix & match, if you don't like it you are not out a lot of money. Greg
Greg

Oh, by the way Yanita, it seems like someone :roll: warned you about a black stove. Greg
Yanita

Hey Greg,

Yup, LOL, I got warned about black appliances, thank goodness I don't have to cook alot, reservations are my preferred meal!

At least I have not gotten a free dishwasher....yet! :P

Yanita