Painting and Removing Strips

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Okay, I'm sorry if this was covered. I've spent a few hours looking over Mark's manual. (Mail came late yesterday and it was a nice surprise this morning!) GREAT book to have, as many have stated. I've learned soooo much already. Forgive me if this is covered and I missed it.

I have the walls that have the shiny wallpaper with the little batten/batton strips on them. How are these removed? Is it advisable to remove? It looks like their are varied opinions on this, right? :-) If I understand correctly, once they are removed, I can follow the directions in the book and video to fill and paint. It will be so much easier for me to paint at least the three bedrooms before we move in.

Thanks for your help!

Stephanie

Oh, btw, I don't have a little MPS link. Now, I don't know much about our home yet but should by the end of next week.
Yanita

Hi Stephanie,

Your right, removing the batten strips is one of those they will and I won't topics. There are pros and cons to either.

I did one room removing them in my single wide, regretted it within a year! Others have done it and been successful...the shiny wallpaper is called wallboard. The paper covering is factory attached to the sheetrock. It is not removable from the sheetrock base.

Removing the battens is easy, they are either stapled or have tiny nails in them, just take a flat screw driver and gently pry under the batten, they pull right off. You will have a gazillion little nails to remove.

Hope this helps,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Yanita

Stephanie,

Forgot about the MPS link...

look in the blue task bar, do you see an icon that says you have a new message, or something about a friend, either or should be located under the Books/Parts link.

If not read the Website questions forum, if you are still lost let me know! :D

~Yanita~

Thank you. The other problem I thought of while leaving them up was how time consuming it would be to tape and paint around them. (I tend to be a messy painter.) I guess I could just try and be careful but I find just getting away with painting without tape around the ceiling and trim is challenging enough for me without adding all those strips! :-)

I don't know what happened but the MPS thing is there now and I could have sworn it wasn't earlier. Is it because I have a friend now? Well, anyway, it's there and I'll check it out when I can.

Thanks again.
Susan

Stephanie,

You would not need to tape and paint around them. You can paint them the same as you do the walls. I did it both ways, removing them in some rooms and leaving them in others. Both worked for me with good results.

Susan
Yanita

Stephanie,

I am with Susan on this, you would want to clean, prime and paint the battens, the vertical strips going down the wall, the same as the wall, unless of course you plan on having stripes!

~Yanita~

PS, you have the MPS link as you have a friend, you should of received an invite automatically from me when I activate your account.