Container gardening Japanese Maples

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Sylvia

I was at Lowe's last week and saw a floating cloud Japanese Maple at 75% off. It was/is in poor shape. Not only had it not been watered, it was placed in direct sun on concrete. Both pretty serious things apparently for JM's.

Has anyone had any experience with them? I bought it a new container. Someone on a garden forum actually suggested that I move it in and out of the sun each day. As I can't afford a plant sitter and I do have to work to pay for my gardening and home building addictions, this isn't an option.

Has anyone (zone 5 or cooler) grown these?
kashton

I love Japanese Maples. One of the prettiest Trees I have ever seen. I have never experienced growing one myself, but people around here do have them. The funny thing is, never in a part of the yard that has full sun all day. There was one across the road from me, but it had got a disease of some sorts, and the woman cut it down. I just about cried.

Do you have somewhere you can set it that it only gets a bit of sun a day? At one of the Nurseries here, she has one in a pot sitting near the bigger trees. By early afternoon, it is shaded.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Yanita

Hi Ladies,

I currently have 2 Japanese Maples. One is a Bloodgood, has the typically maple leaf leaves but they are a deep crimson color. The other one is the same color but it is the lace leaf cut. Both of these trees are planted in the full southern sun.

At the home I just sold we planted one there as well, again in the full sun. Grew much faster than the plant ID tag said it would.

Today it is already 97* and not a cloud in the sky, these trees are in direct sun. Sure wish my camera was not broke, they are beautiful little trees.

My concern with this tree being planted in a planter is that it will freeze in the winter.

Care for the trees...

Light... they say semi shade, IMO, not true.

Spacing...at least 18'

Bloom time...there are no flowers

Water Usage...moist

Growth rate...medium

Average size...15' high 24' wide

Cold hardiness...-20 degrees...keep in mind this is for in ground planting. Anything in a planter will freeze alot quicker.

Pruning...Cut back to shape in late winter

Fertilization...annually

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Sylvia

Yanita this is a peculiar cultivar. It grows 8 ft tall and about the same wide. It's really more of a shrub. It should have pink and pale green mottled leaves. The containers must be protected in winter by taking them in a garage or basement. I'll probably put mine in the unheated, enclosed back porch at the cottage.

I have three regular maples as well. One in our yard and two at the cottage. I don't do anything to any of them and they grow like weeds.

I had thought of putting it the ground but the area I was thinking of gets absolutely no sun and for this strange little tree shrub that would kill it.

http://www.rainyside.com/features/plant ... igumo.html

It apparently is a zone 6 plant but I suppose that's why it needs to be taken in here.
Yanita

Good morning Sylvia,

Thanks for the link.

Yes, I have seen these many times as well. Someone up the road from us has one, it is about 12" tall and as big around at the top.

I have found that the ID/care tags are a guideline as far as the mature size of the plant. Given all the proper care they can get much larger.

Personally I would plant in the sun before I would the shade. The ID info you left says full sun/sun.

Also since you are planting this in a container I recommend that you get one of the newer types, look like concrete but are really light weight. They do not hold the heat like terra cotta pots. Keep the top mulched well.

This little tree will be beautiful on your deck in time to come. I would get the largest planter you can afford, these trees once established do not like being transplanted latter on.

Here in the south these trees are generally bought for ornamental purposes. Once they reach about 10' or better they crown into a beautiful mushroom head type shape. Great shade trees near the decks. We trim up the bottom branches and this produces an even fuller crown.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!