For The Ladies

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

PennylessZ28

Some pictures of the roses in my garden. How do I care for them?

:D
kashton

I have approx 56 buds on my Wild rose bush. I'll take a pic when they bloom.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Maureen

My roses are just barely starting to bloom!

The weather here has everything confused! 80 degrees one week and back to Winter the next. Even my iris are struggling this year. The lilacs froze 2 weeks ago. Sure missed those blooms!

On the other hand, my dayliles are just about ready to bloom and my hostas are really thriving this year! Nothing grows easily in the high desert. I was totally surprised when the hostas came up large this year than last year!

Hoping to get the annuals in some time this next week!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

Hi Pennyless,

Beautiful roses, thanks for sharing, LOL, to bad the pc does not have a scent button.

Anyways to care for these roses. Always make sure they have plenty of air circulation. Trim/rake any yellow, spotted, black or dead leaves that drop to the ground. These will develop a fungi disease and must be removed.

Once the blooms have passed deadhead back to the next set of leaves and cut on a angle.

Only water them in early morning before the sun gets hot. This allows them to dry with proper air circulation. If you water them in late evening in our area, between the soaking and the humidity it will sometimes produce the fungi.

In the fall when all blooming has ceased trim off all dead branch's, suckers and shape to fit the space.

Aphids/Japanese beetles generally attack roses, if or when this happens you can use 7 Dust or spray with hose a solution of dish soap and water.

Keeping shrub roses pretty is not hard and you will always have alot of blossoms if you keep the plant trimmed. If you have climbing roses, to get the most blooms from them you need to make sure each stalk gets a slight bend/curve in it to get the most blooms.

I would share my roses with everyone but the camera is broke! :cry:

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!