How to cut granite

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

readysetgo

Hi everyone,
I wanted to put granite in my window sill/bottom of window, in one of my bathrooms. I got an extra sidesplash that matches the countertop but we're not sure how to cut it. It will need to be shortened on the sides. What do we use to cut it.
Thanks in advance
Greg

You will need a tile saw with a diamond blade. I would go with one that uses water for cooling. They are avalable at many rental houses of there are some inexpensive saws at Harbor freight that work well for the DYI. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
hvac1000

I have had some luck using a regular circle saw. You HAVE to put the blade on BACKWARDS to make a smooth cut and also to prevent chipping. You will need a very fine cut diamond blade and a water hose. I usually clamp the stone to the old picnic table outside and have a helper flow the water while I cut. It takes a little time and make a test cut to see how this will work for you. I also cut 1/4 to 3/8 inch aluminum sheets with this method but I use a cut oil instead of water to keep the blade cool. NOTE: WEAR EYE PROTECTION.

If all this makes you nervous do what Greg suggested or find a small shop in your area that does that kind of work. Sometimes in life it is a little easier to pay 20.00 or so to have the cut made for you.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
kashton

I have a blade to cut granite, but backwards blade should work too. I know it works for cutting vinyl siding without chipping it.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Greg

PLEASE don't try cutting granite with a steel (or carbide) blade. there are hardness issues here. granite is harder than the steel, I would be worried about the blade coming apart and shrapnel flying. I know for a fact that a carbide tipped blade would come apart. forwards, backwards or sideways it would be just plain UNSAFE.
I stand by my recommendation of a diamond blade. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

Got a 7" diamond blade for my circular saw for $18.00.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?