Window coverings and summer heat....

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lacey

I am starting to think about the summer heat. I have my big living room windows to the west and they were new a few years ago. Dual glazed I think but am not too sure. Anyways, the heat in the afternoons in summer is unbearable coming through there. I have used foil and blinds that darken the room completely but I do not want to live in the dark this summer. Is there anything that can be used to block heat and uv without darkening the room? I am hoping to get a new ac this summer which is larger than the one I have which can hopefully keep up a bit better.
Yanita

Hi Lacey,

You can check the archives, I recall a thread like this from last summer.

LOL, we all want summer to get here and then complain about the heat! :D

One of things that I did in our old singlewide with traditional aluminium frame windows was get the window tint for limo's in the car care section at Wal Mart. It comes in a couple different tint shades. I say limo as the sheets are larger than for regular cars.

This worked very well in my sons room, made it darker, but not "in the dark", certainly reduced alot of radiant heat.

I am sure others will add to this post, hold on more answers are coming!

On a side note, what's up with your AC? Remember that we have a Heating and AC forum (HVAC) as well if you are having trouble with your unit.

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi Lacey,

I have had and still do have that problem to an extent. But, it basically depends on your area.

When I lived in Vegas, I had all the windows tinted. But, then we had heat most of the year down there. Up here in Northern Nevada, we have searing heat in the Summer and bitter cold in the Winter. That's a double edged sword! I want that heat coming through in the Winter, but I want to block it out in the Summer. The only thing I've found that does both is thermal drapes and curtains. These can be on the cheap, or custom made. It's the one application that works for both. But yeah, you deal with a dark room during the Summer.

Yeah, I have to agree with Yanita about your AC. Your better off checking the heating and cooling forum with Robert. A larger AC isn't always the answer. Make sure that you have the right size AC for your home, and that it's in good working order!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
lacey

Thanks for the responses! I will check the archives out.

My current a/c works fine. Its a window a/c that is just too small for the area I am trying to cool. It worked in my last place but not here. So I know I need to find one that cools more area. But thanks, I will keep the other in mind if I need a/c advice.