wall paper border

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

trike2x

Anyone know how to remove wallpaper border that's on top of wallpaper. I want to change the border but keep the wallpaper and not damage it. This is regular wallpaper I hung a couple of years ago. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks
solveg

I just did this! I used spray on wallpaper remover (non-toxic) from Lowe's. It was still a bit of work, but not bad. You have to let the stuff stay on long enough to soften the glue, but not begin to dry up and re-adhere. Timing is everything!

solveg
Solveg, near Wichita KS, 1985 Fleetwood "Oak Knoll" Single wide, 14x80. No renovation experience.
solveg

Oh, I'm sorry... I just re-read that you wanted to keep the wallpaper under the border... sorry.

solveg
Solveg, near Wichita KS, 1985 Fleetwood "Oak Knoll" Single wide, 14x80. No renovation experience.

Hello Trike....If the new border that you want to use is wider than the old, then one way of removing the old is to take a carpenters knife and a straight edge (using the straight edge as the guide for the knife) and cut along the edge of the border, making sure your cut is straight and that your cutting through the wallpaper....use a sharp blade and change it often to keep a clean cut and prevent the wallpaper from ripping. Remove all the old border AND wallpaper that was underneath. Once that is done, you will need to re-wallpaper that spot to bring the thickness back up so you don't see the edge lines under the border....
trike2x

Thanks for the advise I never considered cutting away the border. great idea. trike2x