Painting exterior question

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

solveg

I'm about to start painting the exterior. I have that hard-board stuff... the bad kind. I'm going to caulk up where it's soft around nails.

I've painted interiors before, but I did a quick google check to see if anything was different. I found this:

"Apply primer over all raw surfaces. Note that different surfaces - paint, metal, wood, stucco - require different primers."

Is Kilz OK for the hard board?

Do I have to prime the whole MH if I'm going from a medium blue to a yellow?

When I'm priming, do I have to use a hand brush to get into the texture?

Can I use a spray machine with textured hardboard or a roller?

solveg
Solveg, near Wichita KS, 1985 Fleetwood "Oak Knoll" Single wide, 14x80. No renovation experience.
Greg

I would do a small area to see how the yellow will cover, you may have to do a second coat to get even coverage if you just spot prime. you can use spray, roller or brush, but be warned about over spray, it will travel onto surfaces that you do not want painted. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

See my photo album.

I used Olympic Maximum Solid Color Stain from Lowes. Color is coral sand over blue hard board. I used roller and brush. I used 2 coats. Washed the walls down with TSP.

We’re very pleased.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
solveg

Harry, that looks great! You got me all motivated!

solveg
Solveg, near Wichita KS, 1985 Fleetwood "Oak Knoll" Single wide, 14x80. No renovation experience.
Maureen

Hi Solveg,

First, in my opinion, painting that bad hardiboard is just a band aide fix. The paint, whether you prime or not, won't last for many years.

If you plan on replacing it in the next few years, just paint it. Otherwise, primer will help seal it up just a bit and maybe give you a few more years.

Just keep in mind that the prep work is key when painting!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Harry

Hi

Olympic Maximum Solid Color Stain is self-priming.

I agree with Maureen on the prep. Paint is no better than the surface it is on.

On my 1988 hardboard siding I had to replace the whole back side. On one end of the home I had to repair the siding that was behind the skirting top rail. The other end and front needed some minor patching. The TSP actually etches the surface thus giving it "teeth".

Good Luck

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
kashton

Being a painter at this point of life, I would replace anything that needs to be replaced. I do alot of jobs that I make the owners take pics of before I start, and won't give a guarantee if they don't replace things that they want to hide. Find the right primer for exterior, for the material you are doing. Remember to lite sand first. You can get your primer tinted if you use the right ones. If you tint your primer, the finished color turns out to be a true pallet color, and not a shade or two different. It is easier to cover darker colors than lighter ones. I'm not sure why though. Alot of paints for exterior say they bond well, but they don't. I've seen tint-a-ble deck stains that should "soak in" that start to chip with the first hard rain. When it comes to exterior, choose carefully, don't go for cheap. I prefer latex on sanded, but make sure you have nice weather, and plenty of time to dry. I personally can't stand oil paint on most surfaces, and the clean-up is tedious.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!